• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IP configuring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP configuring?

anybody have clue how to configure your IP between your wireless router and your cable modem? I'm 99% sure that is the problem as to why I can't get a signal between the two. any detailed instructions might help as waiting on tech support gets me NO WHERE

I'm not sure i undersand the question Do you mean you MAC address of the router? Or the actually IP address of your computers?
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Can you alteast talk to your router and log into it?

Comment

maybe you have some more info about the router your using?

Comment

linksys wireless router
          westall 6100 cable modem
          linksys wireless gaming adapter.

my problem is, I can't get the wireless router and the westall cable modem to link up. I think that the ips just need to be configed to recognize each other. I think this is why I get 2 LAN connections in my network places.

If I unplug the wireless router and all, and back to the CM, it works fine.

Comment

If you run an IPCONFIG/all under your command prompt on your computer you should be able to see if you are talking with your network card for the connection
            Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
            2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

I dunno who's your internet provider, but setup should be the same for most, as long as they use DHCP (the network gives you an IP when you connect).

Unplug everything (network and power wise), then just start one at a time. Plug in the cable modem to the coax cable and power. Wait until syncs with their network.

If you just bought the router, hopefully you don't have any custom settings yet, so just do a hard reset on it to clear it to factory defaults. Plug a network cable from the cable modem to something labeled like WAN on the router.

From there, just plug another network cable from the router to the computer. When you restart your computer or run ipconfig /renew in Windows 2000/XP, it should have an IP given by the router.

Not sure what the wireless gaming adapter is for. I guess for hooking up an X-BOX / PS2 to the network wirelessly?

Oh yeah, this stuff doesn't apply if you used to connect your cable modem to your computer with USB.

And if all that doesn't help, go to broadbandreports they have forums for both network hardware by manufacture and forums for internet providers.

Comment

correct, the wireless gaming adapter is so that my ps2 downstairs in the living room can get online to play some video games online.

i'll give it a whirl tonight.

anybody else running wireless, what kind of firwall protection are you running?

Comment

Zone Alarm 6 but im not a huge fan of it
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord
                  2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Have you called your ISP and added your router MAC address to your account???

Mine requires it for the new equipment (router) to link...
                    Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
                    08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
                    98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
                    82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Are you using the right kind of cable?

Typical ethernet cables come in two flavors: Crossover and Straight Through.

Have you tried both kinds of cable for hooking the router to the cable modem? If you are using a straight-through, give crossover a shot.

Crossover cables are used for connecting two devices that are similar/alike.

*edit*
                      This situation was relevant to me when I was hooking up a powerline network (network over home power system). To connect my router to my powerline device, i had to use crossover I believe.
                      Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                      Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Your two connections in the network places won't matter. I suspect that's because you have a wireless card and a wired jack in your computer?

Just a tip, configure your router over a wired line, not wireless. The wired will always be able to connect.

It can be many problems, it may be the router is not properly configured, it may be the cable company filters you by MAC address, it may be your wireless network isn't configured properly on the computer and router (which is why using wired to configure it is a good idea).

Do you have to run any software on your computer when you hook it straight to the cable modem? Or just regular windows networking?
                        1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                        2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                        1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

IMO, networking issues are the WORST. Nothing makes my blood boil more than not being able to establish a connection when I believe it should be working. A short circuit/burn could befall my computer, and I would accept the situation and buy new hardware, but if I cant get my computer to talk to the network, I work up quite a sweat!
                          Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                          Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');