• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with radiator hose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with radiator hose.

this is really Off Topic discussion.
    but I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone that does their own engine work.

I'm installing a new radiator and I got new OEM radiator hoses?
    The problem is the the new hoses are so difficult to connect to the radiator and engine.
    hopefully you can picture what I am trying to say.
    I know the hoses are new and are not stretched out.
    the hoses are the correct fit for my vehicle.
    I tried using some lube to make the hoses connect easier. but just having a hard time.
    I know with patience and persistence, I'll get it.
    is there a trick to installing the hoses without the pain I'm going through?
    help me, please!!

ive never dont this before - i just let my mechanic do the work but i would imagine that a bucket of hot water might help to soften the hose.
    All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

Comment

Pretty much all you can do is put some grease on the neck and push. Try to spin the hose a bit while you're putting it on. Also try to put it on a little crooked so you get an edge, then try to work it around the rest of the circle.

It's just like changing a belt, you think it's the wrong one but it's not.

Comment

Most greases have petroleum oil in them that may damage the rubber hoses.

A silicone oil, such as DOT5 brake fluid, would be safe.
        Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

I replaced the radiator on my old '89 DeVille twice and I understand your pain. I was always taught to just lube the ends of the new hoses with fresh coolant and just twist it on. Wouldn't want any kind of oil or greese getting into your coolant.

You can always stretch the hose with a pair of plyers for a bit from the inside out...that's what I always did. And of course there's good old fashion leverage, which is hard to come by in an engine bay...
          -Dennis/FromThisSoil

If anyone is in need of a company logo or flier design, don't hesitate to ask for help.
          I can accommodate any budget.
          To see a few samples of my work just PM me.

Comment

Right, I'd forgotten how slippery coolant is.
            Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');