• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when I try to stick up for myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when I try to stick up for myself...

I was leaving a show at a local bar/restaraunt Thursday night (first off, I'm underage. I was NOT drinking). As I approached my vehicle I saw some guy leaning on my truck. I understand some people are just rude like that, so I kept my patience. I told him "Hey, could you get off my truck?" I wasn't trying to start anything, I just didn't want him on my truck. He snapped back with some response about how he wasn't ruining the truck. To that I replied "yeah, well its just rude." Well, him and a couple buddies started to talk smack. Then his buddy started hanging all over my truck, taunting me saying "ohh... what are you gonna do about it?" I started to walk towards him saying he didn't need to do that. My attention was on that one guy, and out of nowhere another guy's fist landed straight on my jaw. I didn't see it coming. I grabbed my jaw and yelled out in pain. As soon as I looked back up I had fist number two rammed right back into the same portion of my jaw. At this point they were yelling at me and one guy even made the comment "Do you want to get shot?" I told them I wasn't looking for a fight (even if I were able to fight back, I was outnumbered 3:1) and they taunted me as I went to my car. Anyways, at that point I was shaking really bad and I was in a lot of pain. I was confused as to what had happened and I wasn't thinking straight at all. I pulled my truck forward to where all my friends were and they had just heard what had happened. Long story short, nothing else really happened. There was some arguing back and forth between a few of my friends and those guys, but people stopped it from turning into a full-on brawl.

Anyways, I managed to get home that night, but I'm not sure how. I was in complete pain and I was spitting blood. I thought all they did was knock my tooth loose, so my plan was to see an oral surgeon in the morning. That night I didn't sleep at all, even the vicodin I got from my dad didn't help much with the pain. I got to the oral surgeon the next morning, took an X-Ray and discovered that these worthless losers fractured my jaw. So I was sent to the local hospital. Anyways, I spent 8 hours at that hospital today. In 7-10 days I will have to have surgery, they will extract the wisdom tooth that was knocked loose, insert two metal plates in my jaw (which will be there for the rest of my life) and wire my mouth shut. I will be on a 100% liquid diet for the next 6-8 weeks. I'm really looking forward to not being able to eat solid foods until 2006.

Anyways, I just needed to vent, I'm still really angry about it all. I'm not a fighter at all, so I was trying my best not to be confrontational with these guys. I just can't believe that there are such irrational people out there that would do stuff like this. Just figured it could serve as a good warning to some others-pick your battles wisely. I should have just got in my truck and left, had I realized how short tempered these guys were, I wouldn't have said anything. Also, I was too out of it to think about calling the cops, so these guys will be getting away with this. I'd like to think kharma will get them in the end, though.

Here's a nice picture of me showing the swelling on my face as of 8:30am Friday.

Holy **** man, that *****. I have mad respect for you not trying to start anything and trying to avoid confrontation. If if was me I would have probably tried ot run over them or something stupud like that, My temper gets the best of me. But anyway, props to you buddy.

KP

Comment

As fast as you could have, you should have involved the police. This is called assault and the people that did this need to be held accountable to the law. Is there any chance of identifying them? Have you contacted the police yet? If not you should as soon as you can, while your injuries are still visible. Then supply the police with the contact information for any witness that were there as soon as possible because the more time that goes by the less accurate people's recollection of the event will be.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ouch man, widh you the best of luck. I am in the same boat with Mike P.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          As fast as you could have, you should have involved the police. This is called assault and the people that did this need to be held accountable to the law. Is there any chance of identifying them? Have you contacted the police yet? If not you should as soon as you can, while your injuries are still visible. Then supply the police with the contact information for any witness that were there as soon as possible because the more time that goes by the less accurate people's recollection of the event will be.
          Do what Mike said ASAP!
          Quadruple Honda Owner
          Black cars are easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            It sounds to me like you did NOTHING wrong here. These guys, on the other hand, deserve some jail time as well as having to foot the bill for the expenses and permanent damage they caused.

It really is sad that people like this have to ruin all the fun by acting like morons... and I'm sorry to hear about this happening to you. I don't see how you could've just left if they were leaning all over your truck, so I'm not sure how this could've easily been avoided.

In some ways, I'm sure you would've rather had them take a baseball bat to your truck than inflicting their rage onto you. Either way I doubt I would've had the restraint you did after all that.

Comment

I would like to offer my two cents about this incident since I am a police officer.

This is my advice on what to do now. Before you do anything else, you need to contact the police department that has jurisdiction of the place where this happened (since they would have investigative jurisdiction). In PA, this incident would qualify as aggravated assault which is a felony. The police will take your statement (don't make up any facts, investigators will find out) and begin a criminal investigation. It is possible that the police investigators might be able to identify the suspects (either through security cameras which may have recorded the entire incident, or staff at the location that may know who these guys are if they are regulars).

You might want to see if any of your friends have any information (license plate numbers of their vehicles, or know the names of your attackers) that can lead to the identity of these guys. If not, see if they would be able to at least identify these guys if they are seen again.

If the suspects are identified and arrested, at least in PA, you would be entitled to restitution for medical bills. If you wanted to sue them for anything else that would be up to you. This would be a civil matter in which the police are not involved.

This would be my advice for if you would encounter this type of incident again. Since you observed multiple guys around your car, (and it sounds like you were at a bar) DON'T confront them. Chances are they are drunk and are willing to flex their "beer muscles" by picking a fight (which as we know is what happened). As much as we care for our cars and keep them looking better than new, you can replace your car but not your life! With the way people are today you never know if someone has a gun and if they are crazy enough to use it for what would seem as a minor problem to a sane person.

To make this point. The police department that borders our juridiction just had an officer shot last week while serving a warrant for a minor traffic offense. All this guy would have had to do is pay a fine but now he is dead after being involved in a shoot out with officers. The officer that was shot went home after spending a week in the hospital. The bullet remains lodged near his spine and can't be removed. My point to this is that people are more likely to shoot at civilians rather than police officers who wear bullet resistant vests and cary guns, but it does happen.

Lastly, if you happen to be involved in something like this, move away and call the police right away. Investigations can be resolved much quicker and the bad guys are almost always caught.

Be safe,

Jason
              You must stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your being assaulted. I hope you recover quickly!

Mike's and Jason's advice is really the best. I hope your friends got some license plate numbers and can help ID those worthless thugs.

If you're not confrontational and not a fighter that's fine. We are all different as that is part of human nature. But since you are not a fighter, you definitely should have backed away and called the cops. Had you given the impression that you were raging mad and willing to fight at the drop of the hat, they probably would not have hit you. But, being a nice guy made you vulnerable. You have to expect these things at a bar, it happens all the time! Since you were outnumbered it would have been best to back away though. You can't really predict what's going to happen.

My main point here, is if you're going to confront some possible drunks at a bar, you better be ready for a fight, and you have to convey that impression! Or you have to back away.

Next time, carry some pepper spray with you! You could have had those sucker-punching losers in agony!

Too bad you or your friends had not called the cops immediately and gotten a plate number. At the very least, the driver would have been busted for DUI. And most likely one or more of them would have been busted for felonious assault! The cops would have been waiting for them when they got home. They are almost always caught in situations like this.

Would you be able to identify them if you saw them again? If so, I would keep visiting that bar and see if they return. They are dumb enough that they may very well come back. And they may not even realize that they could be in big trouble.

Good luck and I hope that you can still take legal action against them.

RamAirV1
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Guys, thanks for all the advice. I wish I had called the cops, but I wasn't thinking straight. I was in lots of pain and I was basically in shock. I know I shouldn't have said anything to those guys, but I wasn't even trying to be confrontational with them, I just needed them off so that I could leave. After it escalated into them yelling, I knew it was a mistake, but it I got punched so quickly I didn't have a chance to walk away. I am not a fighting person, and I'm never around fights, I was naive to think that anything better could have arisen out of me saying anything to them.

I have friends working on finding out who these guys are. Someone found out the two that punched me are brothers, so we know that much. They aren't regulars at this place as I've never seen them around. I'm a regular there every Thursday night because my buddy promotes shows and bands there on that night. These guys were there because they are friends with one of the bands playing that night.

I'm going to speak with my neighbor who's an officer to see if its too late to file a report. I'm thinking my story might lose credibility since its two days later. Also, someone said that these guys were saying that I started it, so it could be my word against theirs (of course I sustained injuries, they did not).

BTW, anyone have any good suggestions for my new liquid diet? I just went to the store and bought powdered drink mixes, some instant breakfast shakes, oatmeal, and a few other things. I ate some chicken noodle soup a little earlier because I'm not closed up yet. I was able to just swallow the noodles whole. It felt good to have solid food in my stomach. The attack happened at 12:30am Friday morning. The last solid food I ate was a meal at 3:00pm Thursday afternoon. Yesterday all I ate was a Jamba Juice smoothie. These next 7-8 weeks are going to be hard, but I can stand to lose a few pounds anyways, so there is a plus side to it.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about what happened to you and hope you have speedy recovery.

I agree with Mike and Jason about contacting the local police.

Eric
                    Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Just a suggestion for food, one of the guys I work with is on the "Abs Diet" from Men's Health Magazine. They have a lot of smoothie ideas that you might like. I have tried a few of them and they are pretty good since they area made with whole food ( bannanas, strawberries, blueberries, yogurt, etc).

I feel you pain, I had a broken jaw several years ago. I lived on chicken and stars soup, pudding, and lots of smoothies. On a plus side, you will lose weight. Just becareful when you are able to eat solid food again, because you'll want to binge and put the weight back on.

Good Luck

Jason
                      You must stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by blkbmw
                        Just a suggestion for food, one of the guys I work with is on the "Abs Diet" from Men's Health Magazine. They have a lot of smoothie ideas that you might like. I have tried a few of them and they are pretty good since they area made with whole food ( bannanas, strawberries, blueberries, yogurt, etc).

I feel you pain, I had a broken jaw several years ago. I lived on chicken and stars soup, pudding, and lots of smoothies. On a plus side, you will lose weight. Just becareful when you are able to eat solid food again, because you'll want to binge and put the weight back on.

Good Luck

Jason
                        Thanks for the tips, I'll look into those shakes. Losing a few pounds will do me some good. I'm hoping that since I'll be eating less for so long (up to 8 weeks), it will reduce my appetite so I won't even feel the need to eat as much as I did before.

Comment

That *****. Unfortunatley that's the world we live in. Hope you feel better.

Comment

there will come a day that they get judged about this...sorry to read this that this had happen to you pall.

Comment

If that had happened to me there would definitely have been some fatalities that night and I would not have been one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');