• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UC + 88 Buick Hood = Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC + 88 Buick Hood = Awesome

I just received an early B-Day gift from my Mom and Dad. A new Rotary! It was the cheaper unit from Harbor Freight but it worked great. Even on low speed, it kept speed without bogging too much. Now I am the ultimate newb on a rotary, but I held my own on 23 yr old paint. The include wool pad expectedly filled up with "dead" paint really fast but the UC continued to cut really well. It performed just as well or better than all the posts and reveiws I read before I bought it. The aformentioned wool pads are not the highest quality around but because I am no new at this I didn't want really good pads just in case. It removed all of the swirls and most of the Med depth scratches, but there were some deep enough that thay just wouldn't come out. Not a big deal B/C it is my daily driver and my experimentationvehicle for buffing and detailing. Pics will be coming as soon as I get them loaded on photobucket. You will se that my car has a forward tilting hood which makes it easy to polish as it stands vertical instead of horizontal . Pics coming soon.

Re: UC + 88 Buick Hood = Awesome

As promised, I have pics of my first rotary experience.

Before UC and rotary
    20+ years or swirls, scratches and RIDS

Another Before showing swirls and RIDS

And finally after about 15 min buffing. Looks a lot better than before.

PLease feel free to let me know how you think I did for my first timw using a rotary. also and help or tips for using the rotary will be extremely helpfull for me. Thanks.

Comment

Re: UC + 88 Buick Hood = Awesome

Hi Jumper,

Your Buick's hood had some plastic surgery which took away its aging.

It's okay to use UC with rotary buffers but it wasn't formulated by Meguiar's chemists to be used with circular polishers. It was designed for DA and orbital machines or hand application. You may want to look at one of these compounds: M84, M85, M95 or M105 (from least to most aggressive).

Better quality wool or foam cutting pad would give you improved final results. Meguiar's offers W4000 or W5000 (double sided, extension adaptor needed) wool pads and W7207 7" foam cutting pads. Wool may leave some small side effects like swirls, holograms or micro-marring, but nothing which cleaner polish, like M205, couldn't remove in step 2. Foam cutting pads tend to haze and have intense heat build ups with longer buffing cycles.

Great improvement to your car's paint and you are comfortable with rotary tool which will help you with serious correctional works like sanding mark removal, deep scratches, heavy swirls, etc.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');