• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Original Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Original Paint

My wife's 65 Mustang has most of it's original paint, and it's in such good condition, most don't realize the car has never been repainted. It is Caspian Blue, which is a darkish blue and appears to contain fine metallic. I don't believe clear coats were being used back then, but I'm not sure.

My question is, are there any Meguiar's consumer products that should not be used on this 45 year old original paint that still shines very well? At this point, I planning on using NXT 2.0 for protection (thinking it should be OK), but wasn't sure about what to use for cleaning/polishing beforehand. As I said it looks good, and I sure don't want to use anything too aggressive or inappropriate for the old tech paint.

Re: Old Original Paint

#80 Speed Glaze (cleaner/polish) and #7 Show Car Glaze (pure polish) would be great products for prep before the wax.

Claying also (Smooth Surface Clay kit).
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

+1 for M80 Speed Glaze and M7 Show Car Glaze prior to wax.

I have a couple of older BMW's with single stage paint and I find M80 and M7 very good with single stage paints.

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      #80 Speed Glaze (cleaner/polish) and #7 Show Car Glaze (pure polish) would be great products for prep before the wax.

Claying also (Smooth Surface Clay kit).
      Andy W.
      Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
      Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Definitely go with the #80, 7 combo. You will be happy you did.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
          My wife's 65 Mustang has most of it's original paint, and it's in such good condition, most don't realize the car has never been repainted. It is Caspian Blue, which is a darkish blue and appears to contain fine metallic. I don't believe clear coats were being used back then, but I'm not sure.

My question is, are there any Meguiar's consumer products that should not be used on this 45 year old original paint that still shines very well? At this point, I planning on using NXT 2.0 for protection (thinking it should be OK), but wasn't sure about what to use for cleaning/polishing beforehand. As I said it looks good, and I sure don't want to use anything too aggressive or inappropriate for the old tech paint.
          Here's a link to an AGO article that Mike Phillips did recently on rejuvenating antique single stage paints, it addresses exactly what you want to do:

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Frequently Mike still posts some of his better articles here also. Looked all over MOL and didn't see it.

TL

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');