• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl Removal and Questions on the Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl Removal and Questions on the Process

Hey guys, I am still learning on my orbital buffer. My most recent work can be seen here...

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

The paint was VERY good so at best I used Mag's Cleaner Wax.

I have a few questions.

When working with a car that has swirls, is it considered ok to go right to Swirl remover 2.0, or start higher on the "cut" rating and work down.

The harshest I think Maguire's has is Ultimate compund but I do not have a car that is that bad. I do not have pics but I am basically trying to get my "Flow" or Process down when working with more neglected paint.

Also when attempting to take swirls out is my thought process correct.....

Wash/Dry
    Clay
    Wash/Dry
    Swirl X 2.0
    Cleaner Wax
    #7 Show Glaze
    NXT Nano Wax 2.0
    Ultimate Quick Detailer

(this is abbreviated but this is the basic picture, but I was wondering IF I need to do a specific POLISH vs just Swirl remover and a Cleaner Wax).

Re: Swirl Removal and Questions on the Process

If you are going to use something like Swirl Remover, or SwirlX, etc, there is no need to follow it up with a Cleaner/Wax. You can go:

Wash
    Clay
    SwirlX
    Wax
    Wax
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by BlackScreaminMachine View Post

When working with a car that has swirls, is it considered ok to go right to Swirl remover 2.0, or start higher on the "cut" rating and work down.
      Always use the least abrasive product first

Comment

Originally posted by Bluher View Post
        Always use the least abrasive product first
        For the test spots.

Comment

Also when attempting to take swirls out is my thought process correct.....
          Clay
          Wash/Dry (not necessary)
          Swirl X 2.0
          Cleaner Wax (not necessary, and NOT before glaze)
          #7 Show Glaze
          NXT Nano Wax 2.0
          Ultimate Quick Detailer (not necessary unless there are spots needing cleanup).
          Ultimate Quick Wax (missing, use after weekly washes).
          As Murr1525 said, no need for the wash after clay and no need for the CleanerWax (you have already SwirlX cleaned are are going to wax). You especially dont want the CleanerWax before the glaze, since the wax will stop most of the glaze from penetrating and hence it will be wasted.

I love #07 glaze, but note that SwirlX has some glaze oils in it so the #07 step is optional (but I personally do that as well).
          2010 XRS

Comment

Ok, make sense Searle, Is there a time where Cleaner Wax should be used, or just Meg's "polish"??

Comment

Ok, make sense Searle, Is there a time where Cleaner Wax should be used, or just Meg's "polish"??
              Cleaner wax is a great way to maintain a finish every so often, and in-between full polish sessions. Cleaner Wax will help to properly prep the surface for solid wax adhesion, as well as remove some minor staining and swirls.

I sometimes like to alternate a cleaner wax every 3rd wax job or so, and then switch back to a normal wax like NXT 2.0.

Comment

^ +1

CleanerWax, including ColorX, is a great All-In-One solution when you want to do a quick "mini-detail" (i.e. the car needs some paint-cleaning, but you dont have time for a full-detail). It is also what I recommend to my wife and daughter and neighbors who just want a good but quicik/easy solution.

Meguiars Polish (I usually use the alternative term "Glaze/oils" so as not to confuse how other manufactures use "Polish" to mean cleaning and defect removal) is basically trade-secret nurturing-oils to fill-in the micro-pores of paint/clearCoat which does 2 things: 1) nurishes the paint to maintain long-term beauty 2) the filled-in paint pores give a very deep wet-look to dark or red colors.
                - but it is only applicable to nicely cleaned paint, it wont penetrate wax (and needs a following coat of sealant/wax to protect it)
                - it actually helps Meguiars wax bond better to the clean paint for longer durability
                - it *can* be applied on top of wax for a very short-term wet-look (for car shoes etc) but it wont last past one wash or shower since it washes off the wax.
                - so, you *never* just use polish(glaze/oils) by itself except for the above (temporary) show use.

So, personally I do a spring+fall full-detail of wash +clay +cleaner(SwirlX) +glaze(M07 or DC2) followed by NXT2 sealant then a pure carnuba (#26 or DC3)
                - I then wash+UQW weekly, and rewax (the carnuba) every 1-2 months

If my car has lost some of its sparkle (due to contamination etc) and I dont have time to do a full detail, I do a mini-detail of wash +ColorX +NXT2.
                - and still wash+UQW weekly, and rewax (with carnuba) every 1-2 months

Lots of folks have similar (but slightly different) routines.
                - Those affected with "Detailing Disorder" will full detail every month or two.

Does that help?
                2010 XRS

Comment

This helps ALOT, thank you!

One thing I did yesterday is observe cars in the bright sunlight. You would be amazed on how MANY have swirls. All my families cars do. So its off to Swirl X treatment.

One thing also I will do is follow up NXT 2.0 with a coat of Hi tech Yellow #26!!

Comment

Ok here is my revised process (it wont let me edit lol).

Wash
                    Clay
                    Wash/Rinse
                    Swirl X 2.0
                    Glaze #7
                    NXT 2.0
                    Hi Tech Yellow #26
                    Ult. Quick Detailer

From there, wash, dry weekly, and hit with UQD, then 1-2 month go over again with the Hi tech and when I hit the fall consider a another round of the steps above.

We have a "car" season that runs from Late March to Early October so I will have to get something set up for when it is winter time.

Comment

Not much need to re-wash after claying.

Comment

So clay the car, wipe as I am going to Swirl x it anyways, got it!

Comment

...One thing I did yesterday is observe cars in the bright sunlight. You would be amazed on how MANY have swirls. All my families cars do...
                          Actually, I would bet that 95% of cars get a guick drive-thru wash+wax or maybe a fast one-bucket wash with washbrush on hose and then quick wax. Over and over, nothing more. Thats why what we call the mini-detail (careful 2-bucket+gritguard wash +ColorX minor correction) produces results that look wonderful to most folks, especially if maintained with weekly wash and UQW top-up. It is *so* easy to get your car into the 98% range if you really take just a little care.

If you *also* do a spring+fall full-detail (including clay +cleaner +glaze) your car will be almost show-car quality in comparison. More accurately, a nicely 99% detailed daily-driver.

Warning: Once the "Detailing Disease" takes hold and you want to shoot for real 99.99% show-car quality, then LOTS of hours get consumed and thats when you family starts to refer to you as a "Detailing Moron" (or words to that effect). Basically, chose your personal level of insanity
                          2010 XRS

Comment

Ok here is my revised process:
                            Wash
                            Clay
                            Wash/Rinse
                            Swirl X 2.0
                            Glaze #7
                            NXT 2.0
                            Hi Tech Yellow #26
                            Ult. Quick Detailer

From there, wash, dry weekly, and hit with UQD, then 1-2 month go over again with the Hi tech and when I hit the fall consider a another round of the steps above.
                            Looks good. As Murr said, no need to wash after the clay, just lightly wipe.

Also, no need to UQD after the detailing (although it wont hurt). UQD is more for removing light dust without having to do a full wash. After a wash, you can spray with UQD, but UQW works slightly better for adding a touch-up bit of wax/polymers. You can also use UQW as a drying-assist, i.e. rinse then UQW then wipe (to avoid 2 wipes).

One simple hint that helps significantly reduce swirls: Do weekly wash using 2-bucket method with gritguards to hugely reduce grit swirls. Also, then "rinse" the car with light drizzle of water from hose (not pressure sprayed) since this will help the water sheet right off. Then, to dry the car try lightly "dabbing" the surface rather than forcefully wiping/rubbing. All this will significantly reduce the amount of swirls that your loving weekly attention will end up causing. And of course always always keep your pads and MFs clean, grit is the enemy of a great paint finish.
                            2010 XRS

Comment

... We have a "car" season that runs from Late March to Early October so I will have to get something set up for when it is winter time.
                              Car care during the winter (for us northern types, I wish I lived in California), that is another whole set of threads...
                              2010 XRS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');