• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Cleaning Car Surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Cleaning Car Surface

I have a 2000 Chevy that spent almost two years in San Francisco without much care. When I last detailed it, the finish was smooth as glass. Now, it has these tiny spots all over the finish, and it feels like a fine grade of sandpaper. I have tried everything I had to clean it: NXT, polish, ScratchX, bug and tar remover, and clay bar. The only thing that even put a dent in it was the clay bar, but it was nearly impossible to run the clay on the surface. Should I try polishing compound next? Help!

I have been on the forums before, but my signon must have expired. Anyway, any ideas would be much appreciated!

Re: Need Help Cleaning Car Surface

Pics could help, but sounds like you may have to go to an agressive clay bar.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have spots on my 2005 cobalt I want to clean this weekend. Is it true that swirl x and ultimate compound will take wax off a car? And if this is true will deep crystal polish also take wax off a car? My car that I really detail (want to detail) is a Chrysler 300, it has the ziebart paint protection on it, will swirl x and ultimate compound take that off? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Black300 View Post
        I have spots on my 2005 cobalt I want to clean this weekend. Is it true that swirl x and ultimate compound will take wax off a car? And if this is true will deep crystal polish also take wax off a car? My car that I really detail (want to detail) is a Chrysler 300, it has the ziebart paint protection on it, will swirl x and ultimate compound take that off? Thanks for your help.
        If the Ziebart stuff hasnt worn off yet, a proper detailing will certainly remove it.

Comment

There are different types of clay bar?

Comment

Yes, the Smooth Surface clay bar (white) is mild. The Professional Blue Clay is a little stronger.

The Professional Red Clay is very strong, and can leave behind some swirling if it is used.

It is possible you could try the SwirlX or Ultimate Compound applied with terry cloth, then clay. Or go to a more agressive clay from the start.

But make sure you do a test spot, dont do the whole car with one thing and find it doesnt work.

Comment

OK. I will have to see what I can find around here. I just don't want to buy a bunch of stuff only to find out it doesn't work.

Comment

I can post poics, but I don't think it will do any better than my description. If anyone wants pics, I need to know how to post them, please.

Comment

I assume, Scott, you are working by hand and do not intend, at this point, to invest in a dual-action polisher.

Given the lack of results from everything you have tried, I would go down to the local auto shop and purchase a bottle of Ultimate Compound and SwirlX. I would then do a TEST SPOT with SwirlX and a foam or microfiber applicator (I prefer foam). Meguiar's teaches us to begin with the least aggressive product. If SwirlX removes your spots, then you can go ahead and polish out the rest of the car; but if it doesn't (and I bet it doesn't), then you should apply Ultimate Compound to your test spot and see if it is more successful. And if neither are effective, you can always return them to the store, with receipt, and get your money back. Meguiar's promises 100% customer satisfaction.

I would suggest that you read through the varioius articles in the Working by Hand forum.

It's possible that given the environmental abuse you car has been subjected to over the past two years, you will need to invest in a dual action polisher in order to restore the paint finish. It's also heck of a lot easier to polish a car with the G110 than to polish it by hand.

Good luck!

Cheers,
                  Al
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

If its real bad, it might take some playing around.

Comment

I think I will try to find some Ultimate Compound and give it a try. Thanks for the replys!

Comment

And, yes I will be doing it by hand.

Comment

Well, I bought some Ultimate Compound this morning and gave it a try. Much to my disapointment, after working over an area three times by hand, the contamanents were still there. I was very forceful during the application. It helped some, but it is going to be an incredible amount of work. I may be borrowing an orbital to see if that helps.

Comment

99% of the time a orbital will not have the power to do paint correction. But they are very good at applying and removing wax.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Suggestions?????

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');