• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT 2.0 Made My Windows Worse in the Rain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT 2.0 Made My Windows Worse in the Rain...

I'm not a big Meguiars user, but I do have a lot of Meguiars products that have accumulated over the years.

Was bored the other day and I decided to dust off the can of NXT 2.0 and wax my side and rear windows. (always rainx on the front wind shield) It rained pretty good today and I was hoping the water would just bead off my widows like it does with rainx. Boy, was I wrong. Yea, the water did bead, but it just stayed on the windows, even at 60+ mph. My windows that havn't seen anything but glass cleaner for the past year or so were made worse in the rain by NXT 2.0. Anyone else experience something similar?

Re: NXT 2.0 Made My Windows Worse in the Rain...

I have never tried NXT.
    I like Rain X it is fine.
    But I have had problems with the haze and getting it off.
    I use either Ultimate Quik Detailer/M135 or Ultimate Quik Wax.
    They work just as well if not better than Rain X
    Sorry to hear the bad news.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

I don't prefer waxes or sealants (meant for paint) on the front & rear windscreen. They tend to smear. Better stick with dedicated glass sealants such as RainX, Aquapel or even the covalent sealants like Nanolex or Gtechniq's glass sealants.
      M135 will do the job but in my experience, performance is better with RainX. Havent tested UQW - I'll get some later from Rick.
      Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by TimG View Post
        I don't prefer waxes or sealants (meant for paint) on the front & rear windscreen. They tend to smear. Better stick with dedicated glass sealants such as RainX, Aquapel or even the covalent sealants like Nanolex or Gtechniq's glass sealants.
        M135 will do the job but in my experience, performance is better with RainX. Havent tested UQW - I'll get some later from Rick.
        I said I did not put it on the front windshield...

Comment

I think what Tim G means it that he does not like putting wax on his windows.
          I think he understands the fact that you did not put it on the front and rear windshields.
          He was just putting it out there and trying to give you some more information.
          But Rain X is a great product.
          So I think you have learned your lesson, and now just put Rain X back on when you get a chance.
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
          '99 F-150

Comment

Have never tried NXT 2.0 on my glass but I use Collinite 845 all the time. Works great and it beads just like the rest of my car when it rains
            Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

was watching the CCTV cameras at the same time typing - sorry dude ma bad.
              The point I was trying to say is that the wiper's movement would make it smear but on windows without any wipers, it would be fine. Just make sure the glass is clean (free from bonded contaminants).
              However it you want the water to slide off even faster, a dedicated glass sealant is always the best IMO.
              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Never had a bad experience with waxing my windows with M21 2.0 (pro version of NXT 2.0).

In fact, my passenger made a comment at how well water was beading off of my windows just last rain storm I had.

Possible you didn't get a good application, or maybe sheer incompatibility with your glass for some reason.

Comment

Never had a problem.

You said, "decided to dust off the can..." Are you using the paste version?

I have allways used the liquid with great success! I still use rain x on the windshield though...

Comment

A lot of windows take differently to wax. If you want protection on your windows then just use a spray wax like UQW. This will save you time and you will most likely get better results.
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by 05Goat View Post

I'm not a big Meguiars user,

Just to point out,
                      • Meguiar's does not recommend using our automotive waxes on glass.
                      • There are no official recommendations or procedures for applying our automotive waxes on glass.
                      • ALL of our automotive waxes are specifically formulated to be applied to automotive paint which is nothing like glass.
                      • No directions on any label on any of our car waxes and paint sealants suggest or even hint they can be used on glass.
                      • No directions on any of our websites or printed literature recommend or suggest to use our automotive waxes on glass.
                      • Every post I've ever made on this topic on this forum embodies all of the above.
                      • Most if not all posts where our members ask about using our automotive waxes on glass are told at least one of the above.

So just to be clear for everyone reading this into the future, Meguiar's does not formulate our automotive waxes to work on glass and there are no recommendations or suggestions to use our automotive waxes on glass.

Should you decide on your own to use a Meguiar's wax on your car's glass that's entirely your decision.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If you use Rain-X why did you use wax?

My experience in "coating windows" has been that you need a few coats over time to make it perform well.
                        I love Rain-X! Even that doesn't work well the first time on untreated windows.
                        I've had to apply Rain-X over a month, after every wash and eventually it builds up and works great.
                        So maybe a few more applications over time will improve it or stick with Rain-X

Comment

Why use wax on glass? That's like putting paint on a piece of bread instead of butter and then saying "Dunn-Edwards made my bread taste worse and I ended up in the hospital!" Well, maybe not quite that bad but still, as Mike said, as far as I'm concerned, wax is made for paint.
                          Last edited by HealthyCivic; Apr 1, 2009, 11:38 AM.
                          -HealthyCivic
                          Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
                            as Mike said, as far as I'm concerned, wax is made for paint.
                            Years ago there was a guy that wanted to test waxes and then look at the results under some kind of high power microscope or something like it.

His plan was to apply the different waxes he wanted to test to glass slides, as in microscope glass slides.

I discussed this with the head chemist and said his testing was flawed from the beginning because a quality car wax, whether it's ours or some other companies, not the qualifier word, quality, a quality car wax or paint sealant is formulated to stick, bond, attach, adhere, cross-link, dry-onto, cure-onto automotive paints, not glass.

So sure there are people on forums that talk about how they use brand xyz on their car's glass and if it works for them that's good for them. If you want to duplicate their success seek them out and get their recommendations and guarantees you'll be happy with the results.

As for Meguiar's, at this time we do not make any wax or paint sealant that is officially recommended for use on glass.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Sorry to hear about that.

I have had great success using NXT Wax, UQD, and UQW.

Although it's not recommended by Meg's, like Mark Said, what is your application method. I'd also only use the Liquid version, not the paste
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');