• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Foam Cutting Disc Problem... Deteriorating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Foam Cutting Disc Problem... Deteriorating?

Back at the end of January, I purchased a set of the new 5" foam discs. 2 cutting, 2 polishing, 2 finishing. I've loved the performance, but my cutting pads seem to be deteriorating. Not sure if they just have a shorter service life due to the increased "work" they do, or if it's my technique. I'm typically using either Ultimate Compound, M105, or M101. I prime the pad correctly, then apply 3 dime sized dots, work a panel, then move on. Typically running a harbor freight polisher on speed 5, and using the W67DA backing plate. I purchased another pad about a month ago, and it is starting to show signs of deterioration as well. I typically cycle through both (now all 3) pads on every vehicle I detail, and I'd guess that the 2 older pads have about 12 cars on them, and the 1 newer one has 5 or so. Any ideas/suggestions?

Re: New Foam Cutting Disc Problem... Deteriorating?

Anyone??? Bueller???

Comment

Call customer service and see if they will replace them for you.

Related thread.

99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yeah, I don't really think they're "defective" per say (everyone else is having great luck with them), and as such it isn't really fair to make Meguiar's replace them. I think I'm maybe missing something in my "process" that is causing them to fail prematurely. Or maybe that is just their typical service life (in which case they're still a decent value I suppose). Just seeing if anyone has any ideas.

Comment

Are you cleaning them on the fly? i.e. after every couple of section passes?
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I've been cleaning them more like after every 2 panels or so via pressing it into a folded up terrycloth towel and turning on the polisher on speed 3 with enough pressure to keep it from actually spinning, then letting up on the pressure and letting the pad spin into the cloth a couple revolutions before stopping. Think maybe this isn't often enough?

Comment

Maybe not.

And your method may not be not cleaning the residue out properly, if you're stopping the pad from spinning. I like to turn it up to about speed 5 and press down on the pad with a terry cloth whilst still letting the pad spin.

I also use a pad brush first, to get the bulk of the gunk out. Perhaps you should invest in one of those.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                Maybe not.

And your method may not be not cleaning the residue out properly, if you're stopping the pad from spinning. I like to turn it up to about speed 5 and press down on the pad with a terry cloth whilst still letting the pad spin.

I also use a pad brush first, to get the bulk of the gunk out. Perhaps you should invest in one of those.
                I agree here, I use a pad brush followed by compressed air. I am still using some pads that are over 2 years old and like new still. Its possible there was a bad batch of foam, but i think rethinking your cleaning will help greatly. It does appear to be separating from too much product in the pad ( over saturation will cause product to sling to the outer edges of pad during rotation with resulting tears ) and also caues heat build up resulting in foam degradation.

Mike
                Mike Sommer
                FirehouseDetail.com
                Facebook.com/FirehouseMobileDetail

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');