• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No matter what I do, M205 dusts like crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matter what I do, M205 dusts like crazy

Hey gang. I just don't understand it. I'm doing everything right (or so I think). I've read just about everything regarding the use of a DA polisher and various products. I'm using it on a G110v2 with an 8207 pad. Pad is primed, pea sized dots for each section. Working small sections, shaking bottle, etc.

Cleaning the pad on the fly constantly. 205 starts out well but about half way through the car, there is dusting EVERYWHERE. What gives? Am I doing something wrong? This happens on both new and previously washed pads. By the time I'm actually finished with the car, it's covered in a thin layer of dust. Any advice?

Thanks!

Re: No matter what I do, M205 dusts like crazy

A new pad half way?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I noticed that also, it just ended up being the outer edge of the pad having a little more build up that wasn't coming off when i cleaned the pad. You have to rub it off with your thumb, itll flake off, and that took care of it. Changing to a new pad part way through will fix it also

Comment

What type of paint are you working on? Is it old single stage one?

I assume you work on small sections at the time. M205 should give you a long buffing cycle.

Comment

I've worked with 205 on red and black cars in hot sun with almost no dusting to speak of. Stuff gives crazy buffing cycles.

Are you cleaning the pad on the fly? This may contribute to the dusting but is certainly not the only thing suspect.
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698
          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

This may sound crazy, but I get more dusting from M205 than I do from Ultimate Compound.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

If you are getting dusting with M205, you are more likely than not buffing too long. Under normal working conditions M205 should not give off any dusting. M205 has a very long buffing cycle, but if you go too long - especially with too little product on the pad - you may dry it out and get some dusting.

What speed are you running the DA at?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                If you are getting dusting with M205, you are more likely than not buffing too long. Under normal working conditions M205 should not give off any dusting. M205 has a very long buffing cycle, but if you go too long - especially with too little product on the pad - you may dry it out and get some dusting.

What speed are you running the DA at?
                Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm running the DA at Speed 5. I'm working each small section for about 30 seconds max. Cleaning the pad on the fly but the outer edges do get pretty dry. I prime the pad first by rubbing product into it evenly, then each section I use 3 pea sized dots. Does that sound right?

I'll try switching out halfway and see if that helps. Akimel, I noticed you are a member of S2ki and chimed in on a Berlina thread. I'll be getting my Berlina AP2 in 1 week!! So excited. I'll be keeping an eye on that thread also.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by APR Tuned View Post
                  Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm running the DA at Speed 5. I'm working each small section for about 30 seconds max. Cleaning the pad on the fly but the outer edges do get pretty dry. I prime the pad first by rubbing product into it evenly, then each section I use 3 pea sized dots. Does that sound right?

I'll try switching out halfway and see if that helps. Akimel, I noticed you are a member of S2ki and chimed in on a Berlina thread. I'll be getting my Berlina AP2 in 1 week!! So excited. I'll be keeping an eye on that thread also.

Thanks everyone!
                  If the outer edge of the pad is drying, that leads me to believe you aren't having even contact. As a result, the outer edges are possibly floating above the surface and being exposed to air while spinning, thus drying the product out.

I can honestly say I have never in any way experienced drying of M205 on a pad in any form, or dusting. As for working time, it is hard to explain in words alone, but I generally buff until I see that as I made a pass the light haze left behind isn't "re-wetting" completely as I pass by. If it looks like it is starting to dry up even the slightest, I stop and remove.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');