• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#28 safe for silver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #28 safe for silver?

Is it ok to use #28 All Metal Polish on silver surfaces? And what about silver plated (which can be a real nightmare as the plating can be very thin)?

I have used it on them with great apparent success, but figured I'd see what the recommendation is.

I also want to say I really love this stuff. I've had my little 5 oz tub for over 2 years and it's still about 3/4 full. A little goes a long way. I love that it is very very mild yet can handle some fairly heavy tarnishing. I mean, I've waxed candlesticks where it's too mild to abrade wax drippings off, but is chemical enough to totally remove any tarnish. It even works great on plated plastics like faucets and such. And it doesn't smell disgusting. The stuff's great!
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Re: #28 safe for silver?

Originally posted by Aurora40
    Is it ok to use #28 All Metal Polish on silver surfaces? And what about silver plated (which can be a real nightmare as the plating can be very thin)?

I have used it on them with great apparent success, but figured I'd see what the recommendation is.

I also want to say I really love this stuff. I've had my little 5 oz tub for over 2 years and it's still about 3/4 full. A little goes a long way. I love that it is very very mild yet can handle some fairly heavy tarnishing. I mean, I've waxed candlesticks where it's too mild to abrade wax drippings off, but is chemical enough to totally remove any tarnish. It even works great on plated plastics like faucets and such. And it doesn't smell disgusting. The stuff's great!
    Hi Aurora40,

#28 All Metal Polish is perfectly safe for silver but you bring up a good point that whenever you're working on something that's plated, you aways need to be conscience of how much film-build you have to work with no matter who's polish you're using.

Interestingly enough, for years and years Meguiar's offered a dedicated silver polish first in a glass bottle,

And then later in a plastic bottle in the Home Furniture Line.

M28 is great product and a little truly does go a long way. I used it for years on my Sanger Drag Boat, which had a lot of polished aluminum throughout the interior of the boat plus on the engine and also the cavitation plate was polished aluminum.

Mike

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Do you guys still make a dedicated silver polish? Just curious.

Thanks for the info on it Mike. The #28 really works great.

P.S. In that last photo it says "Do not purchase this Silver Polish unless you follow directions"... LOL!! :rofl
      1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
      2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
      1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Hey Aurora40,

I have a bottle of Meguiar's Silver Polish which I believe is still available. The model # is F-0316. I actually quite like it! It works very well on silver as well as stainless steel!

I hope this helps!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

You can try calling Customer Care at 1-800-347-5700 and asking if there is any available, if not, I might be able to scare you up a bottle.

Here's a close-up of the back label.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');