• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try topping d151 with a pure sealant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try topping d151 with a pure sealant?

Do pure sealants bond to d151?

Re: Anyone try topping d151 with a pure sealant?

I would think that if you worked the 151 in well enough, and just wiped it off after application and did not let it sit, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are using 151 for its correction abilities, one way to insure that the sealant will adhere properly is do an IPA wipedown before the application..
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

I think it all depends on the sealant. Lots of generalizations are "authoritatively" asserted on the internet about the bonding requirements of synthetic sealants and how they do not bond well to carnauba-type waxes or oil-based glazes. I am skeptical about these generalizations. NXT and M21, for example, are pure synthetic sealants, and neither of them will have bonding problems with D151. Ultimate Paint Guard Plus is a synthetic sealant, and the manufacturer explicitly states that it may be applied on top of a carnauba wax. Last year I wrote to a couple of manufacturers and asked if I could apply their synthetic sealant on top of ColorX. They all told me yes. I also wrote to a couple of manufacturers and asked if I could apply their synthetic sealant on top of #7. A couple said yes, a couple said no. Zaino, on the other hand, appears to need a squeaky-clean surface in order to bond effectively, at least that is what the manufacturer and Zaino-users say. So I think one has to approach the question of sealant or wax bonding on a case-by-case basis. Don't accept internet generalizations just because they are asserted vigorously. Be willing to test them and validate them yourself.

In the absence is authentic scientific studies, expert opinion (by which I mean chemists who know what they are talking about), or manufacturer pronouncement, there is only one way to answer a question like this: go ahead and try it and see what happens. It's not as if one is going to wake up in the morning and find that the sealant has slid off the car and pooled around and under the car.

But to resolve all doubts, then, as CLRider has suggested, do an IPA wipedown before applying your sealant. It's easy enough to do and you'll sleep well at night.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

I have put a pure wax over cleaner/waxes for years, never any problems.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');