• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SwirlX, Scratch X or Ultimate Compound for boats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SwirlX, Scratch X or Ultimate Compound for boats?

I know the marine products were made specifically for gel coated surfaces such as boats in particular and I'm sure would have superior performance. But.... would there be any harm in trying one of the Meguiars consumer line car products mentioned in the title or will there be negative results if used.

I only say this as I have all of the mentioned car products and no marine products. I don't own a boat but was helping a friend.

P.S would be applying with a DA.

Thanks
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Re: SwirlX, Scratch X or Ultimate Compound for boats?

No harm.

Gel coats are much harder, so the auto products may not be strong enough. But no harm in trying.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

thanks

Comment

I would try to get a hold of product from the boat/rv line. As Murr mentioned gel coats are tougher then paint.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

At this point I'm not sure what my friend has for maintaining his boat. I assume he has his own products, but was wondering just in case he doesn't what the risk would be using the car products. I've seen the boat and while it is an older boat, it has been well maintained. Just from sheer memory I would guess after each summers use a good cleaning and wax might be all that is needed. I would think that Ultimate Compound might be ok to use for a good cleaning of the hull.

The other thing I was wondering about and that is pads. I have an assortment of LC pads (orange, white, black, and gold) would the same pads apply to gel coats as would paint when it comes to polishing/wax??

Comment

I'm not familiar with the cutting order on LC pads but on my fiberglass RV..I get great results with Meguiar's maroon cutting pad because as has been said...gelcoat/fiberglass is tough stuff.
            Barry

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');