• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apply wax, leave it on 4 months befor removing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply wax, leave it on 4 months befor removing?

We have several teams of RV detailers working in our RV resort that use this method. They apply a coat of wax in May and leave it on until October when the owner returns. Then they remove the wax, reapply and remove again. They claim this helps protect the gelcoat from the 100+ temps all summer long. The wax removes as easily as if it were applied same day. They use a product called Big White Cleaner,Conditioner Polish. I have seen the results and it looks good. What do ya think??
    Barry

Re: Apply wax, leave it on 4 months befor removing?

I would think that a lot of dust and dirt would get trapped in the wax over that period of time. I don't know how you would be able to remove the wax without scratching the gel coat.

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

It sounds like a recipe for disaster. But if it works more power to them. I would think that over 5 months there would be a lot of contaminants in the wax that was left on.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Remember, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

As pointed out, the problem with leaving a wax type coating on the finish as a "Storage Wax" is that dust, dirt and other abrasive particle may stick to the coating and then in the future when the coating is removed their is a potential risk for instilling swirls and scratches into the finish and the dust and dirt particles are rubbed against the finish.

While a majority of the people on this forum are probably car enthusiasts and their first concern would be swirls and scratches in the clear coat finish of their car's paint, a Motorhome owner's first concern might be to simply protect the exterior from deterioration in the big picture with less concern about swirls and scratches, at least like car enthusiasts are concerned about swirls and scratches.

That's just a guess at the mindset of a usually older demographic segment of our population.

(Just a guess)

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I think Mike hit it on the head. These RVers are not car crazy like we are and dont even know what swirls are. Good point about the dust build up...I didn't think of that one.
          Barry

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');