• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1967 Chevrolet C10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 Chevrolet C10

So, there was some other posts on how to fix this truck up, and got some good suggestions. Here is what i found out about this truck and its paint.

Friday night i started just doing some test runs with pads and combos. M205 on polishing, which was to aggressive, M205 on finishing, also to aggressive, at this point, the paint cleared up nicely except there was some webbing left over... Not sure if i was using the M205 in correctly but moved onto the next pad and liquid option. A couple weeks ago i ordered some of the D302 ( the new Microfiber polish ) . I primed the pad, cleaned up the paint like a champ except it left some pigtails! So i was getting stressed out at this point. Starting to figure out that this paint was really soft and i had never done anything with this soft of clear before. I pulled out the Ultimate Compound and a finishing pad, primed it up, little better then the M205 but still left some webbing. That was it for the night, I tried to figure out what was going on, posted a little bit on the forum, somebody responded , ( sorry dont remember, long weekend )

Saturday Morning comes around, about 10:00am I get over there, try some Ultimate Compound on a finishing and polishing pad again, and the M205 just incase i wasnt doing something right the first time. Still couldnt get what I wanted or needed to achieve. So I pulled out the last thing that I thought would work, Ultimate Polish, on a finishing pad,
    and that was the magic solution!!!!!! So what i did was primed the pad, put the DA on 2.5 and slow arm speed, pretty light pressure, and worked on areas about 2' x 2' . To be honest at this point I wasnt thinking this was going to work at all, feeling doubtful, took a deep breath, sighed, and started wiping off product, and a fabulous, black finish started to reveal itself, and I sat there thinking to myself, holy ****, that is the softest clear coat i have ever seen in my life!

So here is what i started with,

Everything I used took care of this problem, just left some sort of other problem, which i didnt take any pictures of, being some what restrained on time, couldnt really take any process photos!

Well after about 5 hours of Ultimate Polish and finishing pad, and slow are, light pressure and 2.5 on the D/A...

This next one is a hood shot!

This one shows a lot of the orange peel, its pretty bad when getting into the direct sunlight.

So overall i am pretty happy the way the truck has turned out, have to wax it still, going to be doing that next weekend and get it buttoned up. Also going to see what i can do to learn how to use the M205 a little better, or something, like i said not sure if i was using it wrong, but I just dont see how the 205 could leave some marring/ webbing, but the UP cleaned everything up and it has virtually no cutting ability, or an ideas ?

Re: 1967 Chevrolet C10

Truck looks great!
    2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
    1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
    1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
    1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
    1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Re: 1967 Chevrolet C10

I'm sure you are aware that UP is derived from M205. UP does have some cutting ability but it offers more polishing oils than M205. I'm guessing you were using meguiar's pads. I'm not too familiar with them as I use 5.5" lake country pads. I'm thinking that a blue finessing lake country pad with M205 would work out. I'm also thinking that a cleaner wax ( black wax, white wax, etc...) would have worked out as well.

Either way it looks like you got things figured out for what works best on this truck.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');