• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

06' Boxster Vs. Windows & Wheels w/Rupes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06' Boxster Vs. Windows & Wheels w/Rupes

We got a call the other day from the owner of an 06' Porsche Boxster, saying he needed a detail before the weekend. With a little schedule re-arranging we were able to fit him in today (Friday). He said the swirls on his hood were pretty bad and the rest of the car, though clean and well maintained, could use some love as well.

Lesson to those who don't already know - this is what happens to your paint when you do spray & wipe cleanings on your car...and your towel gets something stuck in it:

This is what happens to your car when Windows & Wheels Detailing along with the power of Rupes, compliments of Mr. Kevin Brown @ BuffDaddy, polishes and restores your paint:

But...I'm getting ahead of myself First we had to pull it out, get the tires and wheels cleaned up...get that good ole' Arizona Grime coating off of them:

Some Wheel Brightener and Wheel Woolies along with my Atlasta Soft Tip brush helped to break down the baked on brake dust:

Tires were then scrubbed, along with the wheel wells. As i said above the car was very clean already...so we ONR'd and the clayed it. The clay was almost just going through the motion, the car had basically nothing bonded too it, but we did it anyway just to be safe.

Then it was time to do a test spot. The drivers side where the sever scouring was at from the debris getting caught in the owners towel was where we wanted to start. We figured, if we can knock that out...the rest should be very do-able.

Lets look at the rest of what we'd be working with:

Even where there wasn't bad scouring, there were definitely swirls:

Yes, we had some work to do. But today....today was different. Today we had something new...the Rupes 21. Now anyones whos spoken with me about the Rupes knows I intentionally held back at first...while the Rupes sounded great and I trusted Kevin knew what he was talking about...I wanted to see how much everyone else liked theirs once they got it. So, for the past few months Ive been watching and hearing others rave about it....guys who's opinions i trusted. Finally...after saving up...Dani & I decided to take the leap.

While i had given the 21 a test run over the last weekend on a boat to remove oxidation (and it worked wonderfully, much easier to use)....i wanted to see how well it cut SWIRLS!

Tape line, check....Megs cutting pad, check...M105, check...light, check....time to give her a go:

First thing....this was insanely comfortable...i felt like i was doing something wrong lol. Vibration was minimal....but the STROKE of the machine was excellent..the momentum just kept that pad swinging and turning....i really wanted to see just how well it would cut...so i only did 3 arm passes on my section...after 2 i spritzed with water...did one more...then wiped away....and then i was blown away.

I told Dani "Well I'm really impressed with how it runs but...not impressed otherwise"....she was doing the tire next to me and looked up at me and said "What...whats wrong?"....I told her "Nothing just kidding...it knocked the hell out of everything"....she gave me a sour face lol...but then when she looked at the paint she forgave me.

It was...awesome. I used the Rupes 15 with 205 to follow up...and it removed the haze no problem and left the paint looking like a polished gem. But...i wasn't done experimenting. See this was the worst of the car...i wanted to see just how much a 1-step would do. Just how much cut could i get with JUST 205 and a foam pad.

I went to the back...to the "trunk" (engine) area....it was in pretty swirled shape to. I changed over to my 5" backing plate for the 21 and then set up with the same pad and polish. I did a section....looked....looked again..did a wipe down to be sure there was no filling....and it was just as good as the hood.
    ONE step....yes...i felt like i was cheating lol.

The proof is in the photos:

]

Amazed would be an understatement...but it was true...1-step...90+% correction. And this wasn't just the trunk...we got the same results panel after panel:

The hood was like night and day as well...excuse the smeary mark where the tape was at in the middle....but you'll get the idea

Dani was being goofy and playing peek-a-boo:

So now that we saw everything was as it should be...even in direct sun...we both doubled up with 205 and got to work. Literally cutting our time in half..probably less. The investment of the Rupes was already paying for itself.

A couple hours later the polishing wash done. Dani started doing a quick interior while i starting sealing the paint. The 15 was great for spreading the sealant...even made it easier...just with the trigger location and balance and ease of use of the machine.

Dani finished up the inside, wiped down all the jambs...i removed the sealant...and then we pulled her back outside into the sun (YES, the SUN...most details have been taking us till night fall lately!)

Here she is:

This was one of my favorite angles..it just looked deep and glossy and everything paint should look like:

Swirls were a thing of the past:

Blue skys, dark blue paint...and lots of shine and reflection:

Closer...

and closer still...

Tires, rims and wheel wells were all cleaned and dressed:

This shot was sweet, with the Arizona Foothills scenery behind it:

The light interior looked great with the top down:

Awesome?

Even the small areas were swirl free:

And last but not least...a little more scenery to go with that shine:

The owner was happy and we were thrilled...correction like that...from 205....gotta love it.

Here is a quick video i did of the hood...a before/after shot...really shows the results well: Boxster 5050 - YouTube

Thanks for reading, hope you all enjoyed. Take care.
    Wills Amstutz
    Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');