• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99 Jaguar XJ8 Exterior Correction (LOTS of picks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Jaguar XJ8 Exterior Correction (LOTS of picks)

Edit - Well that's just fantastic...I spelled "pics" incorrectly, ha ha. Oh well...my detailing is luckily better than my forum-topic spelling.

This cars paint was in rough shape from a LOT of improper washing over the last 11 years. It hadn't been washed in quite a while and was incredibly dirty and had a massive amount of brake-dust buildup to the point that I was worried I wouldn't be able to remove it all.

When I set up with my halogens this is what I was working with. The ENTIRE CAR looked like this:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

The wheels, like I said, were looking rough to the point that I really had no idea what they'd like when I was done with them:

There was a lot of water-spotting going on all over the chrome trim on the car:

I dont think the exhaust had been polished/cleaned in....ever:

And some other pictures of the car as I found it:

So on to the cleaning.

I first went after the wheels with Chemical Guys GRIME Reaper diluted 5:1. It DESTROYED the buildup on these wheels. It was the first time I had used it, and I love it. Notice the spot that isn't quite like the others

And the finished product:

I started off foaming the entire car down with an Autogeek branded Foam Gun and DP extreme foam soap.

Then went over the entire car with a claymagic blue claybar. Surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I still got some contaminant up from the hood, roof and trunk. I also clayed the front window for good measure.

So at this point I was told that if I stopped now the car would look better than it had looked in YEARS, ha ha. They couldn't believe the swirls when I showed them the pictures. I guess it's true that until you know what you're looking for on a white/silver car most people really don't see how bad the damage really is. They certainly could see the difference when I took before/after photos of the same location though

This is after a pass of Menzerna SIP on an Orange Pad working at Speed 6 on my Porter Cable.

So now time to take care of the entire car....

I worked the SIP over the entire vehicle and followed up with Chemical Guys P40 Finishing Polish on a white pad at speed 5-6

So after 7ish hours on the car here were my results. The depth of this paint and clarity was beyond what I thought I could do with just a two-stage polish. There were still some LIGHT scratches remaining but they were so light that I could not capture them in a photo and I don't think any normal person would ever see them on a white car unless they knew what to look for.
    If I was doing it again and the owner wanted to step up to a 3 stage polish I would've done a pass with 105, SIP and then the P40 Finishing Polish.

So on to the results...

It was a lot of work, but it came out great in the end. I tried out a lot of new products and was happy with all of the results.
    Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Re: 99 Jaguar XJ8 Exterior Correction (LOTS of picks)

Incredible job! Love the depth of that white paint!

What did you seal the paint with?
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Nice work FinalTD,

That sure was a lot of brake dust (practically enough to make a brake pad).

Very, nice end results. I love seeing a beautiful car brought back to it's glory. I bet the owner almost feels as proud as the day they bought it.

Bill

Comment

It was sealed with M-Seal from Chemical Guys.

Comment

Nice work you did man...

I love jags...
          I have a Type S 3.0 '05 olive color, any suggestion on these paints?

Thanks
          Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
          Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
          Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

Great work. You really made the white paint pop. Looks very good. Bet the owners were thrilled with your results. Way to go.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Fantastic results! The Jag looks awesome now.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks all for the kind words.

Yes, the owners were thrilled; said they didn't even remember it looking like that when they took it home from the dealership (bought new).

Originally posted by Ryan_Bihun89 View Post
                Nice work you did man...

I love jags...
                I have a Type S 3.0 '05 olive color, any suggestion on these paints?

Thanks
                Honestly every paint is different, so it's hard to say what works and what doesn't, but I had fantastic results using Menzerna SIP.

There was a little marring and micro-scratching from the orange pad, but following it up with any type of finishing polish should clean it up nicely...whether it be M205, M82, Menzerna Finishing Polish, P40 pro polish (which I used; from chemical guys), etc...

Comment

Originally posted by FinalTouchDetail View Post
                  Thanks all for the kind words.

Honestly every paint is different, so it's hard to say what works and what doesn't, but I had fantastic results using Menzerna SIP.

There was a little marring and micro-scratching from the orange pad, but following it up with any type of finishing polish should clean it up nicely...whether it be M205, M82, Menzerna Finishing Polish, P40 pro polish (which I used; from chemical guys), etc...
                  Thanks man,

I guell ill go over it with some M105 on Polishing Pad followed up by some SwirlX on a Finishing Pad.
                  Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
                  Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
                  Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

M105 is a great go-to polish. It'll eat up anything you put in front of it and still finish off nicely. I love it.

Comment

Very nice work. Looks like it's the even the same car.
                      Yes, I like M105 a lot too.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');