• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aston Martin V8 Vantage

This Sunday past was the first Aston Martin that I have detailed, and I have been looking forward to it for quite some time

On arrival, the car was already in superb condition - a credit to its keeper, the paintwork was in excellent condition with little or no swirls, and the whole car was generally very clean and well presented as the before shots show:

The wheels simply needed a good clean with Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, arches with Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner. The car was then washed, rinsed and dried ready for claying. The owner had already washed the car for us, so it was simply a case of making sure everthing was spotless and no dust or dirt was present on the car before the claying stage which could have inflicted deep scratches and marring.

The car was clayed with Meguiars Mirror Glaze Mild Blue clay, using Last Touch as a lubricant. Light pressure only, the clay was gently sweeped from side to side until it felt like it was running smoothly. The face of the clay showed the amount of grime being pulled out of the paintwork, especially on the lower regions where road grime and the odd remaining tar spot resided...

Whenever the face of the clay begins to look like the above, fold the clay in on itself to reveal a clean side and continue claying

Once clayed, the car was rinsed, and dried and rolled into the garage rto examine the paint condition... as you can see from the before shots, the paintwork was already in superb condition - little or no swirls, and already a good gloss and level of clarity allowing the flake to ping:

Silver can hide a multitude of sins though! Careful inspection of the paintwork using the strip lighting of the garage highlighted the odd region of deeper marks in the paintwork, like these just above the door handle region (likely nails from opening the door)...

These regions were corrected using Menzerna Intensive Polish on a Meguiars W8006 polishing pad as follows:
    • Spread at 600rpm
    • Begin working at 1200rpm until residue well spread
    • Work at 1800rpm with medium pressure until the residue turns clear

The corrected the marks...

No refining was carried out at this stage, this was left for the next stage which was applied to all of the paintwork to enhance the gloss and sharpen the finish a little to allow the large flake present in the paint to ping through at its best. Meguiars #205 Ultra Finishing Polish was chosen for this stage, applied using a 3M Blue Finishing Pad with a Double Zenith technique:
    • Spread at 600rpm
    • Begin working at 1200rpm with light pressure
    • Work at 1500rpm for a couple of minutes with firm pressure
    • Reduce pressure, maintaining 1500rpm, slowing machine movement speed down
    • Refine at 1200rpm, supporting the weight of the rotary, slow machine movements

The end results of this stage of machine polishing, which in the case of this car was simply to enhance the already very good finish are shown below. The camera, set to autofocus, has focussed on the flake in the paintwork to show the clarity of the finish by the amount of flake ping present...

Adjusting the focus of the camera allows us to focus on the Sun Gun light as well to highlight the clarity from the reflection of the light also (remember, the light reflection and the flake are at two different focal points with metallic finishes):

The finish after machine polishing under the garage and natural lighting showed an enhancement to the depth and gloss from the machine polishing...

Before cleansing and sealing the paintwork, there were other little bits and pieces of detailing to take care of .. One was the grille which was covered in caked on polish and was faded and milky. All Purpose Cleaner and a brush was used to remove caked on polish from the corners of the slats, followed by Briliant #2 Aluminium & Stainless Polish to remove the milky look and then followed with Jeffs Prime Acryllic, a product I have found to work well at protecting bare metals such as stainless and ally. Work in progress, you can see two regions which have been treated in the pic below:

Protection in this case, I opted for Jeffs Acryllic - Prime followed by three layers of Trigger. I find this system to work well on silvers, and opt for it on silvers with strong flake as I find the flake pings just a tiny bit better than with the wax such as Collinite which gives a slightly more "liquid silver" look. Ultimately, both will work superbly, the differences are tiny, but Jeffs was what I felt would work best here today. Results in the garage after cleansing and protection...

The detail was completed with glass being cleaned by Stoner Invisible Glass, plastics dressed with All Seasons Dressing and buffed to a matt look (and to ensure no streaking), tyres with Meguiars Endurance. Wheels with FK1000P, Tailpipes with steel wool, then Briliant #1 Metal Restorer then Briliant #2 Chrome & Hot Area Polish.

Outside, in the glorious sun (I'm getting used to this for after pics! ), the end results:

Another excellent day of detailing, and my first Aston Martin as well so a very special detail this was for me That said, I relish any car, be it Ferrari or Fiesta - if its got paint (or not in the case of certain Rolls Royces!), I'll polish it!
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Re: Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Well done for your first Aston Martin, that baby is hot! Keep it up Griff
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Comment

WOW, now you can say you detailed James Bond's car.

nice work
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Oh my! That *EDITED* is very nice!!
        Last edited by Markus Kleis; Jul 20, 2009, 06:00 PM. Reason: Family friendly language
        MEGUIAR'S NXT 2.0 WAX
        MEGUIAR'S QUICK DETAILER
        LONG LIVE PINOY!!!
        GOD MADE EVERYTHING, BUT EVERYTHING'S ARE MADE IN CHINA

Comment

One of my favorite cars. You did a splendid job my friend. Car looks amazing.
          Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
          www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
          Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

That is one beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Excellent job

Comment

Thats the car which you can hear from over 2 miles away?

Edit: Yup http://videos.streetfire.net/video/t...-v8_178748.htm Watch the first 30 sec, it sounds awesome

Comment

Awesome, thank you!!!
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Nicest car out there.

That silver really came to life again.

Comment

Nice work!

That is one gorgeous vehicle - car of my dreams!
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Definitely drooling over here! I want a DB9 so bad.
                      -James
                      2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

All I can say is Beautiful.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');