• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Bentley - Swirl Removal and Concours Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Bentley - Swirl Removal and Concours Preparation

1964 Bentley - Swirl Removal and Concours Preparation

In order to prepare this 1964 Bentley S3 for display at this years 2004 Irvine Concours d'Elegance, we will be removing the swirls from the paint and restoring a deep, wet, show car shine.

This is one of approximately 175 Bentley S3's built for the year 1964. The car features right hand drive, Scarlet Connelly Hides, and a 6.2 liter V8 with twin Carburetors. The paint color is called Black Pearl and is a clear coat finish that is approximately 25 years old. As such, we will be proceeding with extreme caution as we carefully massage out the surface imperfection and restore a show car finish worthy of the Bentley marque.

While in the above pictures, it would appear as though this car is immaculate in every dimension, (and it is compared to 95% of the cars on the road), however, closer inspection of the finish reveals that the paint is in need of a little polishing work in order to remove the swirls and take it to the finish to its maximum potential.

Here's a shot of the finish on the driver’s side front fender under direct sunlight,

Here's a close-up of this same area,

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Here's a shot of the cobweb-effect, also referred to as spiderweb swirls because they look somewhat like a cobweb, or spider web on the paint when you look at a point of bright light like the sun on the finish.

Cobweb-effect on front fenders

Hazy swirls
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

General swirls throughout the finish

[b]Buffer Swirls, also referred to as Holograms

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Before we move on to the products and procedures used to restore the finish, let's meet the Transformation Team!

From left to right,

David - aka "David"
        Bob - aka "RDVT4ME"
        JB (New to Meguiar's Online, soon to become a member)
        Scott - aka "HotRodGuy"
        Joe - aka "LT1Corvette"

And here's there very shiny cars!

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike and Meguiars.

Thank you for having us to Irvine. I have had the chance to attened six differenct events at Meguiars, with each trip I have gained so much knowledge.

I appreciate what you and the company have done, in helping me get the best looking finish I can on my S2000.

The extreme makeovers are a great learning tool. I look forward to the next one, thanks again.

Comment

You're very welcome David,

I always have fun working with you an appreciate your professional approach and dedication to doing your best work.

They're will be more!

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hey Mike,

I too wanted to say thanks! Like David, I really appreciate how well you represent Meguiars. Your style works great with all us car crazy guys. It was great getting to know you a little better during pizza time.
              -Bob
              NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Hey All,
                I too would like to chime in my thanks. That was an extremely fun makeover as usual. Just when I think I know what I am doing, I am amazed at how much I learn from all you guys.

Is the concourse event on Sunday open to the general public, or did you have to pre buy tickets?
                Joe

Comment

I would also like to say thanks. I increased my detailing knowledge ten fold and hope to increase it even more in the future. Thanks for taking the time to teach the younger of us how to do it right. I look forward to attending another make over soon.

Comment

Mike,

Did I miss the after pics of the '64 Bentley?
                    '04 6s 5-door / '05 Acura MDX

Comment

Re: 1964 Bentley - Swirl Removal and Concours Preparation

any update to this?
                      2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                      2005 Honda CRF250R
                      2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Re: 1964 Bentley - Swirl Removal and Concours Preparation

I forgot about this thread
                        Nick
                        Tucker's Detailing Services
                        815-954-0773
                        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');