• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Toyota MR2 -- 56K Beware!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1986 Toyota MR2 -- 56K Beware!!

Nice job. Is that an '85 though? As I remember having one, the only year without the rear spoiler was 85. Some pics with spoiler, some without (both rear window and trunk)?

Comment

are you going to sell the car? if so for how much not that im going to buy it.
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
        Nice job. Is that an '85 though? As I remember having one, the only year without the rear spoiler was 85. Some pics with spoiler, some without (both rear window and trunk)?

It is a 1986, the spoiler was optional in 1986, and I think in 1987 when they updated the tailights and the interior they made it a standerd feature. I had a 1985 for a parts car, and someone had added the rear glass visor, and the spoiler. I personally prefer the look of them with a spoiler so I painted it black and mounted it. I also like the look of the clear plastic visor, so I added it as well. I do like them without the spoiler, but from some angles they look odd (not bad, just odd) in my opinion.

Originally posted by OhioCarBuff View Post
        Awesome before and after! I sure wish the clear coat finishes on the late model cars were that easy to correct

Also, this isnt single stage paint, it has a clear coat. I wasnt sure if one of the above comments was made under the assumption it didnt have clear coat. This took many many hours to get it to where it is now, I just prefer working by hand. If I were working on a customer car, which I hardly do anymore, I would have used a buffer to conserve time.

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
        are you going to sell the car? if so for how much not that im going to buy it.

Nope, did this one for myself. I generally flip alot of cars, buy them cheap with mechanical problems, fix , buff, sell for (most of the time) easily double or more than what I paid. I once bought a running and driving 1988 Mazda Rx-7 for $300. It was red that had faded to pink, I buffed it and replaced a badly dented fender. Cleaned the engine bay and put brakes on it, investment of under $500. Sold it to some kid looking for a drift car for about 2K.

My girlfriend bought one of these with 60K miles, all original, EVERY SINGLE factory option, power, leather, etc. She had always liked the look of them, I did too, but dismissed its potential. After we put tires and shocks on it and I drove it.... Oh my goodness... I had to have one, handles like its epoxied to the road. I have since put a performance suspension, and expensive tires under mine. I dont think its possible to get it loose anymore (not that it ever was easy...), I scare myself half the time trying to find its limit... But its an economical toy that I get to drive every day, what more can I say. I dont (yet) have children, so I dont need backseats, and my current needs at the grocery fit fine.

I have the garage space, so when (if) I do have kids, this will probably become a full time garage queen.

Comment

Wow, I'm quite impressed! I thought for sure that was single stage paint, that's quite a testimony to deep crystal cleaner, it may be the least agressive cleaner, but it aint no slouch

Comment

MR2's are nice lil cars, one of the guys here at work got one not to long ago. Great job on getting back on the road and getting it to look so good as well.

Comment

Great job on a great car. You really put in some hard work.

I had one of these in 1989 a T-Bar in Light Blue Mica like this one

fantastic to drive as well.

Rob

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');