• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detail a Rental?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail a Rental?!?!?!

My grandpa is in town and he rented a late model Dodge Neo for a week. It is in fair shape, but the gloss is lacking. I think this would be the perfect car to hone my new PC skills. AM I CRAZY TO CLEAN A RENTAL?!?!
    I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
    Take the Car Crazy Test

It's worry free, even if you mess up it's still better than it was when you started.

Comment

I did the same today... sorry i have no pictures.

I had a rental becaus they broke into my own Honda Civic.. it`s in the garage for making all the stuff... so i got a rental.. I was car crazy enough to detail this one... i hate driving nasty filty cars..
      so i decided to clean up...

Comment

God, now I know that I am insane. This saturday is officialy "Neo Detail Day".
        Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

Ah.....hey guys....ah..................

You are detailing RENTAL cars???? Yep, you ARE car crazy!!!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

are you going to clean or detail this rental?
            clean as in wash/dry, i think is okay. i had the new F-150 as a rental with a really nice dark red metallic paint job and i wanted to see what it looked like when clean.
            detail, as in bust out the PC and polish 'er up.....er

heh heh, i wonder if you get a discount for making it look nicer?
            Reid

------------------------------------------------

2004 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1 - Do not view in sunny, cloudless conditions.

Comment

From the "Why Do People Think We're Nuts?" thread at D.C.:

Originally posted by CharlesW

Hey, I even have to wash a loaner from the dealer before I drive it. :crazy :crazy :crazy

Charles

Originally posted by Don

I got a rental neon (black) when my car was in the shop, I finally couldn't stand it anymore and broke out the buffer & some SMR. The rental people just gave me 'the look' when they picked the car back up.

Don
              Don
              12/27/2015
              "Darth Camaro"
              2013 Camaro ... triple black
              323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Now now now, I am not that bad. I was planning on washing it and maybe using some old cheap wax on it.
                Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

Detail a rental --you guys are over the top. I guess it would be good practice, if you screw it up - so what.

Comment

I've heard of people learning how to use rotary's on rentals before. I bet it'd be the best way to learn because if you accidentally burn the paint no one at the rental company is really going to care. If you feel its worth spending an hour or two to clean a filthy car that you are going to be driving for a week or more go for it. You're definitely car crazy but who cares, make it shine and see if they'll give you a discount.

-Matt

Comment

Whenever I travel and know that I will be driveing a rental I bring the essentials. One small bottle of QD, some MF towels, a bottle of #9, and some NXT (used to be #7 before NXT came out). I would spend 30 min on the rental cleaning up the worst spots, just enough so I wouldn't scare customers or valets!
                      And yes, I was frequently called insane!

Comment

The only water a "RENTAL" will see from me will have 10" of mud rapped around it.

Detail a rental

Your not "car crazy"
                        your nutz.
                        Rich
                        If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
                        DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

I detailed a loaner from my mechanic last year...It was a Chrysler convertable that had been painted, but the hood looked like it had scratched up by someone using a can of compound.

Never the less, I decided to give it the PC treatment...After I brought it back, the mechanic liked the looks of it so well that he refunded some of my repair bill!

I would not hesitate to detail a rental...After all, I would want it to look better than when I received it anyway.
                          r. b.

Comment

I hate people who thrash rental cars.

The number one thing I notice about rentals is they are vaccumed and washed, so on the surface they are clean.

However, they are swirled, scratched, marked, and the seats have wierd spots.

Anyway, I rented one today because my car is getting a new transmission. I have a crappy Dodge Neon . I am in no way going to detail the car, but I do respect teh rental place because it was somewhat shiny and not badly swirled.

Regardless, in the rain, I missed some very light scratching near the back and near the keys and some white patch that is on top of the paint not within it. Chances are they will probalby not blame me, but I don't want to run the risk. I think 10 minutes of Scratch X and some wax in that area may be a good idea. I am only going to wax it if it doesn't look perfect or if I think they have the car waxed. If the entire car is unwaxed already, I am not going to even bother to wax that area. However, if they have the car protected, I will not work on an area and leave it bare. As for the driver side key area, some people are too stupid to put a key in the lock to open a door. Even stupider is it comes with a fob that can unlock the door.

I plan to also clean the outisde windows becuase they **** and are a slight driving hazard. Last but not least, I plan to vaccuum the pasenger side because my sister got in and there is some dirt from her shoose on the black carpet floor.
                            Last edited by Jbirk; May 22, 2006, 07:09 PM.

Comment

My (now ex) girlfriend had a nice rental car a few months ago, yet the tires were kind of brown. So I hit them with Endurance High Gloss, and that baby was set.
                              Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                              Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');