• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Miata - severe oxidation revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1999 Miata - severe oxidation revival

Looks great, very big transformation! I agree with the others a final coat of wax is needed.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks guys,

yeah I definately should have put some sealant on it, but I didnt know I needed to at the time (I thought glaze was about the same thing) and my buddy said the same. Now I know better, but unfortunately the car has seen a lot of snow/salt since then
      At least for now its garaged while I put a rollbar in it.
      Ill get some NXT on it the first warm day we have

Comment

Great job Evan55! Really looks great!
        SYDSTER

Comment

Love the trasformation of single stage!

I did a red miata a little while back that had some sketchy bodywork .. The single stage paint looked like chalk while the repaired parts (clear coated) held a shine (yet swirly). It looked crazy but 6hrs later thing matched up pretty well. I wish I had pics
          S2000 Lovefab'd with GT30R
          CTS-V (My first black car)

Comment

amazing result on a great Miata!

now looks better than new!
            www.mx5forum.com

Comment

Evan, a couple things I have realised...

Once a single stage paint oxidizes, it will tend to do so more easily. A glaze or "pure polish" offers little to no protection for little to no time. Add two and two together and you may need to lightly repolish the car again with #82 before going to the NXT sealent.

Since you are a fan of the proline products, I would trade the NXT in for some #21. You will get much longer durablity and it will looks just as amazing.

BTW, awesome job, I enjoyed reading your write up.
              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

You really need to get it cleaned up again after the rollbar install and contact the previous owner - maybe email them some photos. They may offer to buy it back?

Thats when you smile and feel the real sense of accomplishment in all your labor. When the person who once sold it because it didn't look so good realizes all it needed was a little elbow grease!

Thank you for sharing this with us, I will be showing it to my best friend who just picked up a red car with single stage paint

Comment

Thanks guys.

Here is a quick update, like a couple of you mentioned the paint does in fact dull a little quicker than I had hoped so it takes some maintanence to keep it looking fresh, so I put fresh wax/sealant on it every couple months and it still looks good. And do a light buffing 2-3 times a year.
                  I now use NXT as a sealant which I like, and I think I will try #21 next as per suggestion.

Here it is a couple months ago (last warm day of the season) with the rollbar installed. Ive since gotten matching bronze wheels too.

Comment

Wow, I've never seen a Miata look that bad so soon..!!!
                    The outcome was much needed and looks sensational ...
                    Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
                    ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
                    (269)650-2242

Comment

Hi, it looks beyond awesome. In fact, you could probably sell it for more than you paid for it :-)

I just noticed one thing and that is that the exhaust isn't polished. A heck of a lot of elbow grease would really shine that up.

Comment

That's insane. I, too, suggest taking it by the original owners place and showing off. Great work man!!
                        --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

From pink to red! Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan55 View Post

this was my first time doing this, and I'm sure there are a lot of things I could do better, but afterwards I went out and immediately bought my own DA buffer and the Meguiar's pro products, I'm sold.
                            Nice restoration.

The older non-metallic paints on Miatas are single stage and real easy to work on, that plus the Miata body style is easy to buff out also.

Be careful around the lip of the deck-lid that runs along the area close to the back window as this lip is very thin/sharp and you can burn through the paint very easily even by hand if it's a single stage paint. Same thing for that line in the case of the rear view mirror that circles around the mirror.

Now remember how much fun this car was to buff out and restore and the awesome results you achieved and compare this experience to what you think about any clear coated car you work on in the future, then revisit this thread and tell us what you think.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Very nice job! That transformation made the car look completely different.
                              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Great job... I just wonder what would it look like after 2 application of NXT...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');