• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax after 151?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax after 151?

I'm about to detail a 2001 pick-up truck, and the owner said it probably has never had a coat of wax on it. He's not looking for perfect, just to shine it up and put some protection on it. I'm thinking this truck will be a good candidate for my new bottle of 151!

Is there any need to go back over the 151 with something like NXT?

My plan is:
    Wash
    Clay
    NXT
    www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Re: Wax after 151?

D151 is an AIO, but it wouldn't hurt to add an extra level of protection, especially with a sealant.

Comment

Yesterday I used the 151. It did a wonderful job. I then proceeded to apply a coat of #21 v2.0. It really made the paint pop.

I would say if you have the time go for it add the nxt. You will notice a difference.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

The biggest advantage of the all-in-one products is the convenience, being able to do a job faster and for less cost to the customer who isn't looking for perfection. That being the case, if you were going to put a wax or sealant on after using 151, why not just use 105 and/or 205 and follow with a wax or sealant? Just spend less time with the 105/205 and don't strive for perfection to meet the customer's wishes and charge them accordingly.

I was really impressed with 151, though, as far as its correcting abilities.

Comment

I just did my 2007 Lucerne with D151 then followed that up with #26 then NXT 2.0 but then I am anal when it comes to my cars.

Dave
          You repair things with tools. You fix things with a hammer.

Comment

D151 is a great product, I use it on all the cars that dont care for a perfect finish, but a shiney finish... I have followed D151 with a wax afterwards but in my mind if I was to do that extra step I might of as well used a polish like M205... All in all its a great AIO and at a great price for a gallon!!!
            - Markito -

Comment

Well, to do things the 'recomended' way, and get your 2 coats of wax, you are looking at:

1. Wash
              2. Clay
              3. Clean/Polish - #205, SwirlX, etc
              4. Wax
              5. Wax

or:

1. Wash
              2. Clay
              3. D151, ColorX, etc
              4. Wax

So still saving a step.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

People use wax after Color X, why not after 151. I would at least put on a coat of Ultimate spray wax after the 151. Every one says 2 coats of wax anyway.

Comment

I only do it if I have time at the end, on my basic one step AIO details.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I agree, with Nick. It is a AIO. However, I have been Known on occasion to apply a coat of #21 as a lsp.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I thought there would be bonding issues with adding paint sealant on top of D151? Polish/Wax in one step. So it should only be topped with a wax, not a sealant, correct?

Comment

I'd follow with Gold Class liquid wax. Its no different to using the famous Cleaner Wax/Gold Class combo. NXT or #21 would not be my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
                          I thought there would be bonding issues with adding paint sealant on top of D151? Polish/Wax in one step. So it should only be topped with a wax, not a sealant, correct?
                          I would not attempt to top 151 with a sealant as it would probably result in bonding issues, as you suggested.
                          Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
                          Houston Area Mobile Detailing
                          www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');