• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is more agressive? 2x #80 or 1x #83?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is more agressive? 2x #80 or 1x #83?

So, I've been wondering, which is more aggressive and take off more clear, two passes of #80 or one pass of #83? What about three passes of #80 ect?

If you're going for the least aggressive approach is it better to do multiple passes of a lower abrasive versus one pass of a harsher abrasive?

Re: What is more agressive? 2x #80 or 1x #83?

Wow, lots of views, but nobody knows?

Comment

I am sure no one has ever actualy done the measurement....

Neither product is harsh when applied properly with a G100, and even with a rotary, it is the rotary that burns through the paint, not the product. Some people have been applying #80 every month for years, and there are still no reports of burnthroughs because of it. So really it is just a matter of time, and with #83 being stronger, it will make things go a bit quicker.

If it were my car, here is how I would look at it. 1 or 2 applications of #80 is fine, but if you start needing 3, 4, etc, then I am just wasting my time. 1 application of #83 followed by 1 of #80 would be best.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

MOL staff are quite busy as they have Thursdays open garage and usually an open garage or a club on Saturdays.

It all depends on paint hardness. I put 3 passes of #80 (although it may not have been correct procedure) and it did not touch the swirls on my '05 Dodge Neon. I did 2 passes of M83 and had great results, I ended up doing 3 passes of M83 in some spots. I figured the worst of the paint would be the hood and tops, looks like the sides were just as bad. I also tried M02 via Rotary with 8006 and 7006, I put rotary holograms in the paint and smart of me to only have it in the test spot (one pass of M83 cleaned it). In some places in my car, the 3 passes of M83 didn't touch the paint. I may need something like M84 (I think). I then said, "what am I doing using a rotary..." I then went back to M83 and at least 3 passes. My Yukon on the other hand, a test spot on the hood with 2 passes of M80 resulted in a swirl free finish.....Go figure.

To answer your question......It depends on the paint. If the paint is the same, one pass of M83 could be the same as 2 passes of M80, but they different products. I think M80 has more polishing oils than M83. M83 I read can leave to slight marring after cleaning the surface then use M80 to clean that up. Like sharpening a knife, rough stone to cut, fine stone to polish eh?

Check out the List o' Links on the home page on the right side and there are tons of articles about using the products and check the show off forum and see what everyone used on their cars.

I am not patient and that is a huge factor when using a PC and when I'm done with my Neon, it will be awesome. I'm just taking a break to finish some laundry and eat a sandwich before I go back out

L8R

Aaron
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by MSIGuy View Post
          Wow, lots of views, but nobody knows?
          Sorry for the late reply, been kind of multi-tasking behind the scenes...

It's really hard to say but off the cuff 2 well worked passes of M80 should remove more swirls than one pass of M83.

There's not really a pat answer for this because for example when you start out fresh your pad will be dry and will not rotate as well as when it's more damp after having a few applications of product applied to it. M80 is very oily and this allows your pad to rotate better than M83 which isn't quite as slippery, a rotating pad will remove more paint than a pad that is simply vibrating or jiggling on the surface.

And all of this is just conjecture as the real test is when you go out into your garage and actually turn the machine on and do a Test Spot.

Now...

What are you working on?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            It's really hard to say but off the cuff 2 well worked passes of M80 should remove more swirls than one pass of M83.
            Well, that's just about as good as an answer as I could hope for.
            What are you working on?
            Nothing specific now. I'll probably hit my Polar White Scion xB with two passes of #80 via UDM when the weather gets better.

I've also got a black Camaro coming in tomorrow (first 'paying' customer of my little side business) that I'll probally have to hit up with a couple passes of #83, some #80, then some #7, wax with some #26 and top with some UQD. I wish I had my #16 I just bought here to use, but I'll have to save that for my xB.

Comment

Take a few minutes to read through this...

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
              (These are all similar tools)

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Errr....I'm not really a pro but it's just a thought. #80 cut level is 4 and #83 is 6 so, 3x#80 = 2x#83.

Like I said...just a thought.

Comment

'two passes of #80 or one pass of #83? What about three passes of #80 ect?'

Well if you talking about cutting power, M83 would be higher. Also it would depend on whether are you using Orbital, DA or Rotary.

If you are running on Rotary, even M80 can burn your paint if technical of handling rotary is incorrect.

secondly, both M80 and M83 is totally different in their characteristic. M83 is more like a lighter version of M85 (i was told they both sharing simular formula - correct me if i am wrong)

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');