• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It all started with a chip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It all started with a chip...

Hi! I'm Stephen... Driving a 2006 Infrared Cadillac STS.

Bought the car in November of last year, and noticed a small chip in the clear coat right at the front of the hood. Figured i'd take it to a shop one day and get it fixed, and go on with life.

Well, it peeled faster than i though, so i ended up doing a (not so approved) fixup... sanded the area a bit, and then sprayed some clear on top of it. Sanded it all down, and then did the same to a scratch on the driver's side behind the rear wheel that was into the base coat as well. Used some of the Turtle Wax rubbing compound, and it kept leaving the area hazy/scratched. So. To Google. Ran across the Meg Ultimate Compound... ordered some, and then used it on the area. Put some on a foam applicator (After having done a ton of research, i learned the correct way to do some of these things ) and then rubbed with moderate pressure for about 10 seconds. Wiped it away, and it was PERFECT.

Well. That created a new problem. It looked better than the rest of the car... So... Using the Amazon Credit card i just got, a new Meguiar's DA, Ultimate Polish, cutting pad, finishing pad, Ultimate wax, scratch x, Supreme Shine microfiber towels, clay kit, and a few more applicators showed up at my door. Had today off work... So... Got home from school, washed the car, clayed the car, and put the cutting pad on the DA, put some compound on it, and then started removing the terrible swirl marks/orange peel/tracers/yuckiness that the used car dealer caused. From the entire car. Then polished. Then waxed. Total time spent on the paint was about 7 hours from beginning wash to final wipe.

Car looks AMAZING now. No scratches. Very few rock nicks (getting some touch up paint to attempt to tackle those). And the areas where i sprayed clear now match the rest of the car.

Ran out of daylight, but i'll take some after pictures tomorrow... Very glad i found you guys here!

Re: It all started with a chip...

Welcome to the addiction!

Good to hear you got some good results. Stick around here and you can learn a lot.

...btw you shouldn't really use a cutting pad on the DA with a compound (I'm assuming you mean the Megs burgundy pad?) but never mind, keep that in mind for next time
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Yep, the burgundy pad.

It didn't take off too much clear coat, but once it loaded up with compound from my lack of cleaning (Oops!) the DA had a hard time keeping it going... Is the worry cutting through the clear, or making the DA angry?

Comment

Welcome to MOL. Infrared STS? Can't wait to see the good results.

Comment

It looks pretty good right now, but there's still some scratches in the finish. It's not NEARLY as bad as it was, and while i managed to create some holograms with the compound, the polish seems to have smoothed them out. I'll try and get some pictures today, though i'm not sure the sun will be out when i get out of school.

It looks AWESOME at night in low lighting. Reflections of the ground from the light off the moon.

Comment

@Davey. Doesn't the DA Power Pack come with a bottle of UC and a burgundy pad? Just wondering if it's the same as the burgundy "cutting pad" described here. I just bought a DA myself and I'm trying to soak up info b4 using it.

Comment

Originally posted by CadiTamer View Post
              Is the worry cutting through the clear, or making the DA angry?

Originally posted by CadiTamer View Post
              i managed to create some holograms with the compound,
              That's the reason the cutting pad is not recommended. It's very aggressive and can marr the paint when used with something like UC. It just means you'll have to follow up with a less agressive combo (as you did) to clean up the marring, where you may not have otherwise needed to...
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                @Davey. Doesn't the DA Power Pack come with a bottle of UC and a burgundy pad? Just wondering if it's the same as the burgundy "cutting pad" described here. I just bought a DA myself and I'm trying to soak up info b4 using it.
                I'm pretty sure Meguiars stated that because it's being used with the DAPS, which is less powerful than a DA, it's ok.

Comment

I think the DAPS is forced rotation like a flex DA so the bergandy pad can be used with good result.
                  2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
                  1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
                  1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
                  1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
                  1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Ok I gotcha. Thx for explaining that.

Comment

Okay, glad to know that!
                      What's the correct pad to use with UC, then, for fixing things like moderate scratches?

Comment

Generally you would use a Megs yellow pad, or a LC orange pad...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');