• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foam applicator pads vs Microfiber ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam applicator pads vs Microfiber ones

I am curious as to which type of applicator is better to use. The foam one that comes with Meguiar wax kits or a Microfiber one? Also should you always buy new applicators pads or can you wash them and reuse them?
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, Octane Blue

Re: Foam applicator pads vs Microfiber ones

Please provide us with just a bit more information. What process will you be doing? Cleaning - like with a product such as SwirlX, Ultimate Compound, or Polishing - like with M07, Ultimate Polish or Waxing - like with Gold Class or Ultimate Wax.

What are you attempting to do? What condition is you paint? How old is the car?

Just from what you have said I'd guess you are waxing, in which case the applicator that came with the product works great. This is often a foam applicator.

Yes, the foam applicators can be washed with a liquid soap, thoroughly rinsed, allowed to dry and then re-used.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
      Please provide us with just a bit more information. What process will you be doing? Cleaning - like with a product such as SwirlX, Ultimate Compound, or Polishing - like with M07, Ultimate Polish or Waxing - like with Gold Class or Ultimate Wax.

What are you attempting to do? What condition is you paint? How old is the car?

Just from what you have said I'd guess you are waxing, in which case the applicator that came with the product works great. This is often a foam applicator.

Yes, the foam applicators can be washed with a liquid soap, thoroughly rinsed, allowed to dry and then re-used.
      Sorry about the lack of details. The paint is in good condition. I bought the car near the end of April of this year (2011 Mitsubishi Lancder GTS). And yes I am waxing. Color of the paint is Octane Blue. It's the car picture in my Avatar to the left.

Comment

I like the Smooth Foam (Hi-Tec Foam) ones for everything.

Terry cloth could be used if you need more agression, but can leave its own marks behind.

I dont like how the MF over the foam feels, but others like it.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I am curious as to how many applicator pads one goes through when waxing a mid size sedan.

Comment

Well, 1 per step really.

There isnt much need to change pads unless one get dropped or a little too dirty.

So just have a few spares.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Well, 1 per step really.

There isnt much need to change pads unless one get dropped or a little too dirty.

So just have a few spares.
              Thanks Murr!

Comment

Another fan of the foam pads, here. Since I could only find microfiber ones at local stores, I tried those for the first wax of the year (Caybar and cleaner wax) on the '96. Absolutely hated the feel, and it seemed to result in less shine, somehow... Maybe its just me.

Anyways, been using the foam that came with my ULW, plus I found some more foam pads at Pepboys yesterday!
                2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

I went to You-Tube and researched microfiber pads. I only watched videos from well know detailing sites (like Megs).

From what I saw, the pad was loaded up with liquid wax and even more liquid wax was applied to the surface before begining. Due to the amount of wax being used, the surface was very slick and I didn't see much drag.

The wax appeared to cover the entire hood (and then some) without reloading the pad and yet only a thin film covered the surface.

So, microfibre is good when you have to cover large areas without having to constantly reload?

Got to be a "purpose" that these pads accomplish better than foam.

I don't have the expertise to figure that purpose out from the videos. except the fact that coverage appeared to be uniform and "saving product" obviously was not an issue.

Somebody out there knows. Don't make us beg.
                  Last edited by Jossy92; Jun 10, 2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: typos, I can't see anymore
                  Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                  by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

foam exterior, mf interior
                    Al
                    ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I suppose when using products such as Scratch X, I should use a form applicator for better results instead of a standard microfibre cloth?

Comment

Just using a thin cloth can put a lot of pressure in an isolated spot, like under your fingers. That can lead to putting marks in the paint.

Comment

The microfiber provides more "cut" than foam, correct?
                          Drinkin' the Meguiars Kool-Aid

Comment

I have seen yes and no on that...

Comment

Are the even coat microfiber applicators ok to use with Ultimate Polish or do you need to use foam?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');