• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
    Mike, regarding "Which products need to dry before removing?" The ADS website states in the directions for M20 and M21 is to "allow product to dry to a haze." Is this a mistake? Where do the Meguiar's sealants fall into let dry category?
    In Meguiar's usage, M20 and M21 are "waxes," as is NXT. See: Is it a wax? Or a paint sealant?
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

I know this question isnt aimed toward me but let me try and help you

No, its not a mistake.

M20 and M21 are both sealants in the Pro Line. M20 is a light cleaner wax very similar to A12 Cleaner wax in that it cleans, polishes, and protects. M21 is similar to NXT Tech Wax 2.0 in that its for finishes already in excellent condition. But to anwser your question, M20 and M21 should be allowed to dry.

Im sure Mike can explain this better than i can so we will wait for him to anwser, in the meantime i hope this helps
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thank you both for the info. I didn't realize these items were classified in the wax category.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
          Thank you both for the info. I didn't realize these items were classified in the wax category.
          Lot's of people get confused over waxes and paint sealants, the important thing to remember is they do the same job, they protect the paint and if they're a quality product they make it look good too...

The online world gets pretty AR about words.... thus the whole reason for the article and the fact that it's in Hot Topics

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

wow...what stellar information guys. I happened upon the forums as a result of visiting the Main site at the behest of a professed meguiar's "junky". What was meant as quick hit and run, has turned into 6 hours of just pouring through threads... and getting my learn on. GREAT STUFF.

Now this is where I thread jack (I know... I am sorry).

I just washed my new (new to me, 2006 with 33k) Civic Si for the first time. I took my time, (using gold class) went panel by panel, and then lightly dried with MF towel(s). Wow, what a difference it makes... especially during pollen season. I really want to take the next step... use the 5 Step Car Care method. However, upon closer inspection of the cleaned car... I see hundreds of tiny scratches (none are fingernail "feelable") that I assume are the result of autowash brutality. I know that it is adviseable to start with the least aggressive product (scratchX or swirlX ???), but the clear coat appears to be pretty well beat down (florida sun doesnt help).

I have read that patience, passion and the right products are the key to a great finish... and thats what I am looking for.

I would love a little advice on products and technique if possible (i.e. I definitely should wash again, then claybar, paint clean/polish, wax and seal... right???).

FYI I will be doing this all by hand, and have made note of using foam applicators, small work areas, appropriately working product in and wiping residue off while wet (except in the case of wax).

Should I use UC... or see if scratchx will do the job? I know Civics are notorious for having "soft" clear coats...any tips for safely restoring a "show" finish?

Thanks guys (and sorry for the thread jack).

Comment

As you are polishing by hand, Ultimate Compound and SwirlX are definitely the way for you to go. First do a test spot with SwirlX. If you are able to remove the swirls and scratches, then polish the rest of the car with SwirlX. If not, then do a test spot with UC. As Mike says, first try to make a test spot look good. If you can do that, then make the rest of the car look good. You may or may not find that you will need to follow-up UC with SX in order to remove any leftover marring.

Read the directions carefully. Do not allow the polish to dry.

Good luck!
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

That is probably THE worst picture I have ever seen on this forum!! and Probably easy to fix.so long as you follow the above advise!

Comment

organic manipulator problem...just kidding...
                  Upgrade to a machine, and get yourself Flex 3401 VRG. Yes, it's expensive, but it's well worth it...and if you cannot afford it, stop going out...
                  I don't go out period, and I'm proud of it.
                  Working by hand is not a good idea, unless you are glazing or waxing...

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                    That is probably THE worst picture I have ever seen on this forum!! and Probably easy to fix.so long as you follow the above advise!

Think this must be one of the worst finishes ive ever seen

Comment

I had some similar results with my car. I think what people are seeing here is not damage, but left over product that was not wiped down properly. I hope.

Comment

Holy Cow that is Atrocious!!!!

That is probably the worst mess I have ever seen

I hope this guy returns and takes Mike's Advice!!!
                        Matt

Comment

Just emailed him
                          Hopfully he'll come back!

Comment

Where is this guy????? I wanna know if he fixed it or not! hahaha he defenitely has enough information on here to get it lookin better

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                              Where is this guy????? I wanna know if he fixed it or not! hahaha he defenitely has enough information on here to get it lookin better
                              I asked if he didn't want to come back at least tell me what happend. I just hope he comes back.

Comment

I used ultimate compound on my brothers g8 and my xB, and flawless results both times. You could go right to a LSP right after. Love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');