• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got some scratches?!?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some scratches?!?!?!?!

I got some scratches on the black parts of the car that are around the windows in the doors and next to the windshield. Any suggestions from anyone on what Maguiars product to use on those sections to fill in the scratches and make it black again. Any help is very much appreciated.
    Bill from SLC, Utah
    "Show me Wax on Wax off!"

Re: Got some scratches?!?!?!?!

I think what others would ask for is some pictures to see the extent of the scratches.

Comment

Good idea I will see if I can get some pics in the morning and get them posted. Thanks for that, I wasn't even thinking.
      Bill from SLC, Utah

Comment

What do you mean "black parts" rubber trim?
        Alex
        1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
        1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

No it isn't rubber bit it is the part of the door that surrounds the window and then the sides of the windshield. They aren't rubber, I am not quite sure what they are. I will get some pictures of the areas tomorrow so it will be easier to get some help on it.
          Bill from SLC, Utah

Comment

That'll be great. Oh I know what you are talking about. It is part of the door frame. It is like a flat black color. I am not sure what you can do about that. Hopefully when you post pics tommorow someone will chime in with some experience with this section of the car.
            Alex
            1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

well. I got what you mean since i got history with the same part. It seems to be some kind of metal coated with black paint. most of cars have the same. so i treat it like painted surface. So i clay, clean, polish then wax.

since those areas are black paint then they are scratches sensitive so give them more care.

hope this will help

Comment

Ok Here are the pictures of what I am talking about with the scratches.

First one:

These are the scratches that are on the black section of the car next to the windshield. It does seem to be a painted surface, it is like a flat black. They are very light and I had to get just the right angle to see them and take the picture of them.

Next Picture:

These scratches are on the black section around the window on the back passenger door. They are a flat black as well. The scratches here to are very light and need to be in just the right angle to notice them.

I am looking to see if anyone might have any suggestions on how I can get these out and restore the black color. Even though they are very light, I know they are there and it drives me crazy. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                Bill from SLC, Utah

Comment

I am not sure really but maybe try scratchX. I think that that section is very thin paint. Not sure check your car car owners manual maybe it will say the proper ways to keep it looking nice.
                  Alex
                  1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

The black piece you are talking about is actually a piece of aluminum. It has a really thin coat of paint on it and is very prone to scratches. I would be careful using a scratch remover on these areas as you might cause more damage than good. If you have the time, I would say start slowly and try to minimize your work area until you are sure if it works or not.
                    Robert- 2004 Mustang GT, Black, "My second full-time Job"

Comment

Hey,

I see you have a 2008 xB eh? I have the same, in Black Sand... Amazing car!!

Anyway, that is actually vinyl tape around the windows and the A pillar. You can actually remove it and expose fully painted parts underneath via heatgun. As far as removing those scratches, it is rubber, so if there is a product for that?

All it is though is vinyl tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvstang'04 View Post
                        The black piece you are talking about is actually a piece of aluminum. It has a really thin coat of paint on it and is very prone to scratches.
                        Are you sure this is painted aluminum or is it Anodized?

It looks like it's anodized and if that's the case there's nothing you can do to remove the defects with something you pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can.

You can remove the component and have it re-anodized but that's usually not practical for most people and instead they live with it.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If the material is rubber or a vinyl tape, then there's not much you can do except to maybe apply a dressing to make it look a little better but it won't remove the defects.

We explain why in this thread found as a Sticky in Hot Topics

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by invertalon View Post
                            Hey,

I see you have a 2008 xB eh? I have the same, in Black Sand... Amazing car!!

Anyway, that is actually vinyl tape around the windows and the A pillar. You can actually remove it and expose fully painted parts underneath via heatgun. As far as removing those scratches, it is rubber, so if there is a product for that?

All it is though is vinyl tape.
                            Yeah I love the xB. It is an awesome car. Thanks for the input on that. After reading this post and Mikes post they echo the same thing I came up with. it is something I am going to have to live with. Unless I take it off or they come up with some exterior MOD for those areas like carbon fiber or something. Right now I just try not to look at it. Otherwise the car looks fantastic. Thanks for the input.
                            Bill from SLC, Utah

Comment

For sure!

Hey, I dunno if you go to any scion/xb forums but if you ever do look for one, www.scionlife.com is a great site, especially if you need information about mods, etc...

Have fun with your xB!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');