• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray bottle rack - take a look!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray bottle rack - take a look!

Figured I'd show everyone the rack I had made (had made, as in I didn't do it). Let me start by saying the design of the rack did not come from my head. I've always liked the rack that Griot's Garage has for their 32oz bottles. However, their bottles are 4.5" in diameter. The bottles I recently purchased from ADS are only 3.25". I figured they would look pretty lost in the Griot's Garage rack. So I sketched up one on poster board using 3.75" holes. I ended up with a rack that is about 21" long and holds four bottles. I took the template to a local metal bender and had him bend up two racks from aluminum. I used a jig saw to cut the holes, sanded everything, primed it and painted it.

They do a great job of displaying the spray bottles. The best part about the whole thing is that the two racks only cost me about $8 - the cost of the primer and paint. The guy at the metal shop didn't charge me for the metal or the labor. Griot's Garage wants about $20 per rack and they only hold three bottles.

I guess I'd better get online and order some more products to fill the second rack I have.

Now on the the pics...
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Re: Spray bottle rack - take a look!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Thats awesome! Looks factory made, do you know the thickness of the aluminum? I have always looked at those in the Griot's Garage catalog.

EDIT: I noticed you don't have a chemical resistant sprayer on your All Season Dressing, I think Meguiars recommends the chemical Resistant sprayer for ASD. I duno, maybe you haven't had any problems!
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thats pretty sweet!
        You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
          Thats awesome! Looks factory made, do you know the thickness of the aluminum? I have always looked at those in the Griot's Garage catalog.
          Not off the top of my head. It was written on the bare aluminum, but I sanded it off before painting. I didn't recommend a thickness when dropping off the template. I asked Mac (the metal bender) what he figured would be good to go with considering what it was going to be used for. He made the recommendation and the rest is history. If you are really interested in knowing, I could call him up and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
            Not off the top of my head. It was written on the bare aluminum, but I sanded it off before painting. I didn't recommend a thickness when dropping off the template. I asked Mac (the metal bender) what he figured would be good to go with considering what it was going to be used for. He made the recommendation and the rest is history. If you are really interested in knowing, I could call him up and ask.
            Thats ok, we have a metal bender (guy) at work that we use all the time and he could make something work. He is a little $$$ so not sure it would be worth it for me. I am going to check on it! Probably take 5 min for them to bend up.

One more Q, did you cut the holes before or after bending?
            Brandon

Comment

That's sweet! Nice work, keeps the garage organized and keeps your products easy to find with a place of their own.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                That's sweet! Nice work, keeps the garage organized and keeps your products easy to find with a place of their own.

Exactly. It's nice having dedicated places for things around the garage. I'm a neat freak so I'm always trying to think of ways to organize all my stuff.

Comment

That looks clean, well done & gives a great presentation. Great job!
                  Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                  www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                  Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post

One more Q, did you cut the holes before or after bending?
                    Good question. I wish I would have thought of it before having it bent up. Cut the holes prior. I ended up having to take the sole plate off the jigsaw because it would hit the mounting tab on the shelf. It would have been a whole lot easier if I would have cut the holes first. If anything, you could have the rack bent up but leave the mounting tab until you cut the holes. Then have that last bend completed. Either way, definitely cut first.

It only took a couple of minutes for him to bend up the second one. The machine they used was computer controlled so after the angles were inputted for the first one, the second was nothing to bend up.

Comment

Looks great, if you try going to a metal shop here in Southern California they would charge you;
                      $100 Design/Engineering/Setup Fee
                      $ 50 Material Handling Fee
                      $200 Waste Disposal Fee
                      $20 Invoice Fee

Glad to hear someone was willing to help you out, they look great!
                      Jezroj
                      Sunnyside, California

Comment

Originally posted by jezroj View Post
                        Looks great, if you try going to a metal shop here in Southern California they would charge you;
                        $100 Design/Engineering/Setup Fee
                        $ 50 Material Handling Fee
                        $200 Waste Disposal Fee
                        $20 Invoice Fee

Glad to hear someone was willing to help you out, they look great!

This is the best one: $200 Waste Disposal Fee

Didn't you for get the fuel surcharge?

I hope the guy where I live can 'help me out', we'll see.
                        Brandon

Comment

Along with the template, I brought a picture of the Griot's Garage rack so that Mac could get a better idea of what the finished product should look like. Also, it helped when I tried to first explain what I was wanting - a rack to hold spray bottles. He just looked at me like "What the heck!!" Then I showed him the picture from the catalog and he better understood.

gb387, hopefully you can find someone who is willing to help out. Afterall, you'll end up doing the design and template. All they are doing is simply making 4 bends. It might help you out if you can figure up the angles of the bends. I know that when I dropped off the template, I had all the measurements written on the template as if it was a CAD printup. Mac specifically asked me if I knew what the angles were. Unfortunately I didn't but he was nice enough to figure them out for me. If you did this for them, it should certainly help out with the cost since all they will be doing is making four bends, nothing more and nothing less.

Comment

cnfower if you can get me the copy of the dimensions I would be happy to draw up a cad file for everyone this weekend. I can do the angles if you have the dimensions. I will have to check, I think my buddy has a break for bending. I know I could get the sheet stock local. Aluminum is cool, I bet stainless would be neat too.
                            Scott

Comment

Never thought I'd say this in this forum. NICE RACKS!
                              SYDSTER

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');