• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasted by road debris!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasted by road debris!

Hey guys, I need some help on how best to repair this damage on my 99 Trans Am Firehawk. It is a show car with approx 32K miles on it.
    I was trying to beat a storm front home before I got caught in the rain. It was moving south as I was moving north. The cold front was close and the winds were picking up. I happen to be right in front of a construction site when an 85mph wind gust picked up the pebbles and debris in the road from the construction site and peppered the front of my car. It was strong enough to chip the windshield even. There are numerous new rock chips, especially on the metal headlight covers, as well as what I would call “dinks” in the plastic bumper. They are not quite chips as in down to the plastic, more like pock marks in the clear coat. Nothing that I could catch a fingernail on, like I could a chip. I would say 80% of the damage is from these dinks. I will repair the chips as best as I can, including a re-spray of the headlight covers if necessary, as they got it the worst being a metal part.
    I am wondering if the dinks can be polished out, and if this is something an amateur can do, or should I seek out a professional? The only machine polishing experience I have is using a rotary to polish out the oxidation in my 2006 Tundra. I feel the margin of error was less given the fact that: A) It’s a truck, B) it’s white, and C) Toyota uses no clear coat on white paint, they just make the paint harder. It turned out well, but with the amount of oxidation it could only get better. I used
    LakeCountry pads and UC.

I am just sick that I forced a bad situation in trying to beat the storm home and got burned for it. It looks like the car has 100k more miles worth of rock chips.

Any suggestions or directions would be appreciated.

Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');