• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car keyed!!! Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car keyed!!! Please help!

Hello all,

Posted this over at Detailing 101 but was hoping to get some help here... I woke up Sunday morning after staying overnight at a friend's house to find the two passenger side door panels keyed. This is my car that I have been upkeeping religiously with Meguiar's products and this was devastating! I have read some posts already regarding how to fix this, or what might work, and I was wondering if anyone might help me with the following questions:

- I currently have a paint touchup bottle from the factory that I was thinking about using, but if I use touchup paint will I need to do wet sanding to make it even?

- I had thought about using factory base coat and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com [No commercial links are allowed on MOL; Thanks; 2hotford] to repair a bumper scratch before, and since I have a spray gun (fine), I was wondering if I could use the spray method to fill in the paint into the scratches instead of the touchup brush method to achieve a smoother finish?

- I have every Meguiar's product, including rotary and orbital buffer which I am now proficient using... I was thinking of using rotary with product to "blend in" the sprayed paint. Will this work?

If anyone has a better solution or any solution I am all ears... The scratches are not long enough (I don't think) for the insurance company to pay for it (my deductable will be higher most likely), and I am leary about sending my car out to be refinished. Please help! Thanks all...

Peter

Re: Car keyed!!! Please help!

ohhhh man, I feel your pain...I can't understand why people do that...

[Edited for language; 2hotford] cowards.....
    Women wear shinny, men drive it...
    Click on link to see signature picture:
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...a/500/Tano.jpg

Comment

No matter what you do, your efforts just will not look right. You need to have the doors refinished and that will not be cheap. The damaged area will be prepped and refinished with base coat. Then all of the affected panels will be cleared.

If you have comprehensive insurance this will cover the repair without increasing your rates. How high is your deductible?

Tom

Comment

I am so angry no matter how many times I see these happen. Why does these kind of people even exist on Earth?

If u can't polish it out then I think u need to get it refinished. The touch up method u are thinking of might work but I am sorry as I don't have any experience doing it. For my case on my car, I just use a paint brush to paint on it. But mine was not long.

Comment

Well I went with the Insurance/refinish route. I do have comprehensive insurance and my deductible is $100 so that is the best news out of this whole fiasco. The insurance estimate was $1,020 though so I am glad I didn't have to do this without insurance. Still, that is 6 days total for repair...

Comment

Oh my gosh, this is terrible. As a lurker, I feel i need to post to say, feel sorry for ya man. Wish we can round up people who key cars and lock em up somewhere. had my car keyed twice, and boy it was not fun.

Comment

Really sorry to hear. I had been scratched before too. All I can say is touch it up and wetsand it and proceed the compound polish procedure. Hope it will come back because it doesn't look like very deep scratched.

Comment

I feel your pain. My car got keyed 7 times at my high school. You might want to try scratch x, works very well got all my scratches out.
                Alex
                1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Just FYI. This thread is almost a year old.
                  Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                  Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                  2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');