• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace Cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Cord

Good Evening & Happy Halloween,

Just wanted to ask ive heard Mike replace his makita oem cord to a 50' so he doesnt need an extension but still has the option to do so....can anyone chime in how simple this is or even Mike himself....im planing on do this on my rotary and possibly on the G-100 unless it voids the warranty then cancel on that(G-100)....

Any thoughts or suggest is welcome,links,or how to.....i dont know were in southern california to pick up the cord,strain relief,and plug....one more last thing if my rotary is two prong and doesnt have a ground would i be able to add one and will i benifit if i add one.....thanks fellas....

Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

by the way im thinking its simple to open but do you have to unsolder it then strip the new cord ,solder your new cord plus the other end with a plug(two prong)....by the way this is on a CE...so if any damage arise to it no biggie since i will be purchasing a rotary once i decide on either a hitachi or makita for my bday.....(cant decide yet)
    Miguel

Comment

Have you ever thought of using this?

I use something similar to it and it works great.
      r. b.

Comment

Hi Rb

so you just cut off the end of the plug and add.....
        i think that cool but "just a thought" what if that hit the paint....that plus have you had any issues with that type of connection.....reason i want to replace the whole cord like it was made that way and have no long term problems....but if worse comes to worse ill either live with the ext cord or maybe try that method....thanks for the heads up.....by the way were can something like that be picked up(without breaking forum rules) name of co. or some suggestion on co. that carry that....thanks

Miguel

Comment

That is interesting... changing the cord. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard. If you do it let us know how it works.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Djmigs
            ....so you just cut off the end of the plug and add.....
            i think that cool but "just a thought" what if that hit the paint....that plus have you had any issues with that type of connection.....
            I didn't cut off the plug. I just use the cover to keep my cords from coming unplugged between my PC and drop cord. The PC cord is long enough to prevent the plug cover from coming in contact with the paint.

I found mine at Lowe's for .25 cents at one of their front porch sales. Mine screw together in order to protect the plugs from separating, as well as from me accidently stepping on them too.

I imagine any hardware, discount store, or home center would keep them in stock.
            Last edited by rusty bumper; Oct 31, 2005, 06:23 PM.
            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
              I didn't cut off the plug. I just use the cover to keep my cords from coming unplugged between my PC and drop cord. The PC cord is long enough to prevent the plug cover from coming in contact with the paint.

I found mine at Lowe's for .25 cents at one of their front porch sales. Mine screw together in order to protect the plugs from separating as well as from me accidently stepping on them too.

I imagine any hardware, discount store, or home center would keep them in stock.
              Sweet

has anyone add a monkey tail for there g100 or rotary?
              and is it worth it?
              Miguel

Comment

I've been replacing cords on power tools since I was a teenager; it's not that hard. It might void your warranty though.

One thing you want to make sure of is that you use the proper grade wire. As the cord gets longer you want to use a thicker cord capable of handling more electricity.

Otherwise, you take the tool apart, unscrew the old wire ends, and screw the new wire ends, and put the tool back together.
                As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Djmigs
                  Sweet

has anyone add a monkey tail for there g100 or rotary?
                  and is it worth it?
                  I have been half tempted to get one... never seen it in person but I am worried it might pick up lots of dust/dirt from here and there while detailing.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');