• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotary Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Practice

I know this is anal but I would love getting a rotary and learning how to properly use it. The problem is I have a brand new truck and don't think I want to start learning on that.

What do you folks think of someone going to say a local junkyard and picking up a car hood in decent shape to use as a practice panel.

Could possibly even get a hood off of a White Honda so the hardness would be the same as the paint on my white ridgeline.

And before I even set off to go about doing something like this, can someone offer up some ballpark figures as to just how much a hood should run me?
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Get a damaged hood for free from a bodyshop. I have 4 that I got.

Also ebay is a great place to get your rotory. I bought a Mac Tool buffer (same as DeWalt) for a little more than $50 plus shipping.

Ebay Buffer
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Well,

Looks like I just did one better than just a hood. My mothers boyfriend has an old Chevy Geo that he needs to put through inspection.

It looks to have been sitting about a year. Dirty as heck. Several rust spots up front, apparently from rock chips. Plus it has some large patches on the roof and trunk lid apparently from oxidation.

So it looks like I have myself a project vehicle. We just pulled it off the Travel Dolly and put it behind my house for me to play with. The good thing is he is in absolutely no hurry and likely won't be worrying about putting it on the road till the middle of next year.

It's pretty bad so even if I completely hose it up it will be an improvement. I won't be starting on it for a few weeks as I have to look into getting the rotary and I have a few other projects I need to tackle first.

When I gear up to tackle it I'll make a project out of it and take plenty of pics and start a project thread in this forum. With a little patience and organization a detailed thread on this project from start to finish as done by a noobie should make for a very informative thread for others who have not taken the Rotary step yet. Hope so anyway.
      Jeff Smith

Comment

Jeff,

I just picked up my latest addition the Hitachi SP18VA(H) for an excellent price. It is excellent quality and comes with a 5 year warranty. I'm wondering if this is a Makita in disguise. It's $134 shipped and insured!
        Quadruple Honda Owner
        Black cars are easy!

Comment

Most anybody can use a rotary on a hood with no trouble at all. Get something like a fender (with some curves and crown lines) to practice on. Or yeah, use a car that nobody cares about. That Geo will work great. You'll soon see the diff between doing a hood and a fender

If you a) use care and common sense, b) take your time, and c) never let your attention wander for even a second- you'll do fine. The rotary isn't really the paint eating animal that some make it out to be. But it *will* really bite you if you don't give it the proper respect. And I'd resist the temptation to do "just a little more" in search of absolute perfection. Better imperfect paint than a repaint, and thin clear won't show its problems immediately- it'll fail later, after some time and UV exposure.
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

It's most certainly not at all "anal". It's using your head and making effort to find out out what using a rotary is like and identifying your strengths and weaknesses. to you for wanting to go about trying one out safely.

Like any serious athlete, one can never have too much practice IMO. I just pulled out my practice fenders last weekend and gave myself a "practice session". I'm anxiously waiting to try out some tips, fellow member Anthony Orosco was kind enough to share, next time I set up my fenders or, more preferably, work on a beater car again.

If you are going with a single scrap part, I would suggest getting a dark color. One of my fenders is maroon and that's where I see how I'm really coming along whereas on my silver one, I have more difficulty seeing my work so I just focus more on form and process when I'm using that one.

I have the DeWalt rotary and am now trying to focus on working with the variable speed while polishing.
            my product collection-- New !
            My Detailing Credo
            Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

DW849

I am looking through the previous forums at the Dewalts and Makitas. I'll try to learn from whats already posted before ordering. I might even put a summarization of what I find in this thread or start a new thread for others.
              Last edited by Jeff Smith; Sep 15, 2005, 09:26 PM.
              Jeff Smith

Comment

I have the equivalent to the 849, the Black and Decker 3138 or something like that. Identical machines with different cases. I bought it new in 1996 and it hasn't missed a beat. Just this week, I got the Hitachi that I posted about earlier. It's lighter, quieter and has that wonderful bail(sp) type handle that is much less fatiguing to *my* hands. I have about 30-45 minutes of experience with the Makita 9227 and about 2-3 hours with the Hitachi. Most everything about the Hitachi seems to be just like the Makita. Even the sound of the motor both free spinning and under load. Hopefully one day I will be able to do a direct comparison.

Things you will really appreciate:

The bail handle on the Makita and Hitachi.
                Where the "lock" button is on the Makita and Hitachi.
                The lower weight of the Makita and Hitachi.
                The quieter operation of the Makita and Hitachi.

I still love my "old school" B&D and probably wont sell it and if I do, I will keep it in the near family. It's been a great machine but I am less fatigued after using the Hitachi than I am the B&D.
                Quadruple Honda Owner
                Black cars are easy!

Comment

Originally posted by SpoiledMan
                  I have the equivalent to the 849, the Black and Decker 3138 or something like that. Identical machines with different cases. I bought it new in 1996 and it hasn't missed a beat. Just this week, I got the Hitachi that I posted about earlier. It's lighter, quieter and has that wonderful bail(sp) type handle that is much less fatiguing to *my* hands. I have about 30-45 minutes of experience with the Makita 9227 and about 2-3 hours with the Hitachi. Most everything about the Hitachi seems to be just like the Makita. Even the sound of the motor both free spinning and under load. Hopefully one day I will be able to do a direct comparison.

Things you will really appreciate:

The bail handle on the Makita and Hitachi.
                  Where the "lock" button is on the Makita and Hitachi.
                  The lower weight of the Makita and Hitachi.
                  The quieter operation of the Makita and Hitachi.

I still love my "old school" B&D and probably wont sell it and if I do, I will keep it in the near family. It's been a great machine but I am less fatigued after using the Hitachi than I am the B&D.
                  The Makita is looking pretty good as it has the slower start speed. I am still researching all though. Thanks for the feedback.
                  Jeff Smith

Comment

Ehh, the Hitachi has the slow start also.
                    Quadruple Honda Owner
                    Black cars are easy!

Comment

Ehh, the Hitachi has the slow start also.
                      Hehe, understand. I am trying to look through the net to see if the Makita can be purchased with the Side Handle "AND" the BAIL Handle. Hope So. That would be nice.
                      Jeff Smith

Comment

Just something to think about. You will likely be able to use the adjustable handle that is being sold in the "Katrina" sale in place of the bail handle. Having used both, *I* like the bail handle better as it doesn't extend beyond the body of the buffer as far and therefore is able to get into tighter places.

If you would like to touch and feel all three, I think Lowes has them all in stock. Check the stores in your area.
                        Quadruple Honda Owner
                        Black cars are easy!

Comment

Just something to think about. You will likely be able to use the adjustable handle that is being sold in the "Katrina" sale in place of the bail handle. Having used both, *I* like the bail handle better as it doesn't extend beyond the body of the buffer as far and therefore is able to get into tighter places.

If you would like to touch and feel all three, I think Lowes has them all in stock. Check the stores in your area.
                          Already picked up the Handle from Meg's. I might run by lowe's When I get off work in the Morning and have a peek. I have already found several "Parts" sites who have the handles availale.

My Ex Wife works at Lowe's (We still get along great). I'll have to borrow her from the Paint Dept. in the morning and make use of the Employee Discount Card she has.
                          Jeff Smith

Comment

Jeff,

I just picked up my latest addition the Hitachi SP18VA(H) for an excellent price. It is excellent quality and comes with a 5 year warranty. I'm wondering if this is a Makita in disguise. It's $134 shipped and insured!
                            I checked on this and other folks seem to have the same feeling about it being a repackaged Makita
                            Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
                              Most anybody can use a rotary on a hood with no trouble at all. Get something like a fender (with some curves and crown lines) to practice on. Or yeah, use a car that nobody cares about. That Geo will work great. You'll soon see the diff between doing a hood and a fender

If you a) use care and common sense, b) take your time, and c) never let your attention wander for even a second- you'll do fine. The rotary isn't really the paint eating animal that some make it out to be. But it *will* really bite you if you don't give it the proper respect. And I'd resist the temptation to do "just a little more" in search of absolute perfection. Better imperfect paint than a repaint, and thin clear won't show its problems immediately- it'll fail later, after some time and UV exposure.
                              Thanks for the tips. I don't plan to jump on this thing. I'll ease into it after doing plenty of research.

This Geo should make for a good learning aide. It has quite the variety of stuff wrong with it. Severe Oxidation, Rust, Scratches, fading, the whole gambit. I know I won't be able to get it back to perfect but I guarantee the owner will be well pleased with it.

He also has a nice big red Ford Workvan for me to play with that he has at least kept reasonably clean and does wax it. But his wash methods are such that he just grabs any old rag and/or brush and uses dish soap. I guess he waxes it 2 times a year or so. I should be able to bring that out OK after warming up on the Geo.

I may snap some pics of the Geo this weekend. Normally I would wait for the sun but trust me, this thing doesn't have enough shine on it to even worry about trying for a reflection.

I might get with Mike and see if he can help me when I start doing this and try to make a learning tool up for other noobies. Lots of Pics, step by step follow ups, products used and such. I am in no hurry on it each phase can be done slowly and with planning. Should make for me a great learning experience.

I went to Makita's Website looking for local Retailers. Looks like 2 carry their Line. Lowe's and a local lumnber company. I'll be dropping by both here in a couple of hours. If they have the 9227, I'll buy it.
                              Jeff Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');