• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got to play with my first Rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to play with my first Rotary

I have been chasing my bro for about a year to show me how to use one. Just been busy but yesterday we finally got a chance to practice.

It was on a Makita 9227c that has the bar over the top.

We practiced on his '87 Grand National which has really decent paint, just some swirls and nothing too crazy. He showed me proper technique and basically keep it moving, even, consistant, wipe and inspect/evaluate.

We just used Ardex "Seal B" and a White finishing pad but for the most part it was a great experience and I think I am going to move up to the bad boy. I do expect to find a junkyard body panel and practice on.

Re: Got to play with my first Rotary

That's cool BSM. I can't believe your first use was on a Grand National (black obviously), they are awesome cars. I can imagine that it must be a little bit intimidating. I'm just getting the hang of the G110V. I think I will master it before moving on :-) I'm glad your bro was there to give you guidance.

Good luck and have fun practicing.

Bill

Comment

Yea, it was quite intimidating for sure. But figuring I was working with stuff that is not too abrasive and a pad that is for finishing so no "cut" in it made it easier. I do not know what RPM it was running. It had a chart on it but I was not paying attention, just following advice.

I also was taught to follow body lines as borders and go back and forth from nose to windshield, wipe, and inspect. I'll post some car pics later, no buffer pics at the moment.

Comment

PICS!

Comment

Nice

Comment

The GN looks great! Seems like you're off to a good start. RPM ranges will be very important to learn, but once you do, they'll become second nature. Keep up the good work.
            "Cars make great banks but they don't pay interest"

Comment

Agreed, I am anxious to get my own so I can start playing with it.

Comment

Your brother trusts you a lot. 1st time and he let you use it on that. More courage then I have. lol.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                  Your brother trusts you a lot. 1st time and he let you use it on that.
                  lol, good point J.A.
                  "Cars make great banks but they don't pay interest"

Comment

Yea, I said the same thing to him. But he felt with the finishing pad and a polish that has very little cut, that as long as I listened I was fine.

Comment

From what I can see you did a spectacular job and there must be one happy customer to go along with it.
                      BobbyG

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');