• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotaries safe to run across adjacent panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotaries safe to run across adjacent panels?

I know how easy it is to burn paint on edges and such so I have always taped bare edges/corners. What I haven't really tried is run a rotary across edges near a gap like between the hood and fender. I think it would be okay with both panels taking the pressure of the buffer but I really haven't really tried it or want to test it.

Could some just verify that this is relatively safe and that I won't easily burn the edges?

Re: Rotaries safe to run across adjacent panels?

It really depends on the pad, speed, AND the particular edges. Some will be so perfectly level with each other that it might not really matter, where as others would be "off" and it would lead to burning one side faster than the other.

Also, some softer pads or some "wool" types will fit the grooves better than others, so again, it is hard to give a blanket statement.

When in doubt, tape one edge and then switch the tape when you switch to the other side.

Comment

Re: Rotaries safe to run across adjacent panels?

I only really have the 3M 5735 foam pads for my rotary. I don't think they have that much cutting power but doesn't take much to burn edges as we know. I'll probably just keep taping like you mentioned. Better safe than to be get burned.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');