• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought my rotary polisher-pads,tricks and help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought my rotary polisher-pads,tricks and help needed

I just bought a Milwaukee AP12QE Rotary polisher.Please recommend me what wool pads are ideal for a new user of a rotary polisher...
    Also any advises are welcome
    Thanks once again guys...
    I AM HERE TO LEARN

Re: I just bought my rotary polisher-pads,tricks and help needed

Originally posted by pampos View Post
    I just bought a Milwaukee AP12QE Rotary polisher.Please recommend me what wool pads are ideal for a new user of a rotary polisher...
    I'm one of the newest guys here, but what I have learned is that wool pads generate too much friction. Try to get a hold of some foam pads.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by emrliquidlife View Post
      I'm one of the newest guys here, but what I have learned is that wool pads generate too much friction. Try to get a hold of some foam pads.

Ed
      I'm fairly new to the rotary myself, but I have heard conflicting information on this.

Some users warn that foam will heat up a plastic panel (bumpers for example) more quickly than wool.

I'll wait for some official word from Meguiar's for this one... (Mike!?)

Comment

First of all, a rotary is an awesome tool. That being said, you need to ask yourself what you want to accomplish with it and let that be your guide as to what type of pad you are going to need. If you are going to be removing deep scratches or sanding scratches in the 1200-1500 range, then wool will be needed. If you are looking more for swirl removal and finishing, foam would be better.

As to whether foam runs hotter than wool, IMO it does. Trick here is to pay attention to the product on the surface, and not get to the point of dry buffing. That goes for either foam or wool. Caked product on pads also helps to generate heat, so keep whatever you are using CLEAN!

As to tricks...Practice on an old car that you don't care about or a scrap panel first. And make sure you practice vertical too...A rotary is a lot easier to keep on a horizontal surface, and tends to 'walk' more on side panels. This is mostly due to not having the machine flat on the surface which is harder on sides of cars.
        Last edited by bt2580; Sep 30, 2008, 01:53 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

If you haven't this is a nice thread to read Learning to use the Rotary Buffer

Comment

Originally posted by pampos View Post

You want to get a quality wool cutting pad. Meguiar's offers 4 different pads that you can get more information on by going to www.meguiarsdirect.com

There are two for the Solo system, our new double-sided wool cutting pad and our traditional one-sided wool cutting pad.

My favorite is the W5500 Dual Sided Wool Cutting pad. Both sides cut, good flexibility from the inner backing plate and great cutting action from the style of fibers used to make this particular pad.

If you want to cut out below surface defects whether thats sanding marks or RIDS then this pad works great and is my first choice for a cutting pad. You also need the adapter to attach it to your rotary buffer.

W5500 Dual Sided Wool Pad with Adapter to attach to the Rotary Buffer

In order to attach our W5000 Double Sided Wool pad to your rotary buffer you'll need to get an adapter that threads onto the internal backing plate built into the W5000 Double-Sided wool pad and onto the 5/8 spindle on your rotary buffer.

Like this...

Our new double sided wool pad is a great cutting pad, if you've got a wet-sand, cut and buff job to do or you're trying to restore an older neglected finish using a rotary buffer for your first cut, then you're going to love this pad, especially with our new M105
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks all of you....I tried already the W4000 wool pad(i think) today removing sanding marks with great results...i like to work with wool instead of foam pads....I would like to have a complete wool kit for all the steps if it is possible....As i realize practicing is what brings the results..i already read the guide and it was helpful enough but....
              I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');