• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaning foam pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning foam pads

I just got the foam pads for my da polisher. What is the proper way to clean them?

I tried to machine wash my red cutting pad and it looks like it was never cleaned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: cleaning foam pads

If you do a search on the forum you'll find some good info.

Comment

I like to "clean on the fly" with a tightly folded terry cloth towel after every application on compound/polish. You don't have to clean after every use [some people clean every other pass or after finishing a section/panel] but I preffer to work as clean as possible.

You just hold a clean section of the folded towel against the foam pad while holding the polisher firmly against your lap. [pad facing up] Turn the polisher on at normal speed and let the towel clean up the excess on the pad.

Once you're done polishing, all you have to do is run warm water in the sink and massage the pads until they're clean and allow to air dry. It's best to do this while the product is still fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
        I like to "clean on the fly" with a tightly folded terry cloth towel after every application on compound/polish. You don't have to clean after every use [some people clean every other pass or after finishing a section/panel] but I preffer to work as clean as possible.

You just hold a clean section of the folded towel against the foam pad while holding the polisher firmly against your lap. [pad facing up] Turn the polisher on at normal speed and let the towel clean up the excess on the pad.

Once you're done polishing, all you have to do is run warm water in the sink and massage the pads until they're clean and allow to air dry. It's best to do this while the product is still fresh.
        Couldn't have said it any better. I will use a pad cleaner, APC or sometimes dish soap and massage that into the pad under warm water to break down any compound, polish or wax. I will wring them out and place them pad face down on a towel to absorb any moisture.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Comment

Great advice. I get mine wet and soak them for a few minutes, 10-20 with some apc, and then do like the others said, massage it out. Might have to do it a couple of times. Then air dry. I like the idea of the towel for when your on a job though.
            2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
            2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
            2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Being a bit lazy, I'll pre-wash in two different manners. If a bunch of pads I wash them in a 3 gallon bucket of a solution of a product called "Snappy". If just a few, I do a pre-wash using All Purpose Cleaner in a sink. Then in both cases I machine wash them with microfiber towels using Micro-Restore with a cup of white vinegar in the rinse. Then everything goes in the dryer.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              David

Comment

You just need APC, and spray it onto the pad..and start scrubing by your hand, add a few spray if necessary,after that, rinse it with water..

Comment

The methods described are fine but time consuming and cumbersome.

1) Just take a garden hose and nozzle to the pads! The pressure from the hose will have them perfectly clean in only a few minutes.

If the pad is proving difficult to clean; then pour a little cleaner or car soap on it, massage it a little, and then pressure them clean with the hose again.

2) After that, spin dry them on your DA or rotary buffer! The rotary will quickly dry it to the point you can continue buffing. The DA won't spin dry it quite enough to continue buffing so you will need to dry it a little more via a towel.

Viola, within a few minutes you have a clean pad....

___________________________________________________________________________

I managed a detail business for 14 years and this is how I did it; with one exception, I would often take a pressure washer to the pads. It will get them clean very quickly just be careful not to get to close. We would go through a lot of cars in a given day so there was no option of soaking them or hand washing them and then waiting for them to machine dry, especially when the same can be accomplished much quicker.

I cleaned on the fly as well but every now and then I would thoroughly clean them as described. It's almost as fast but you end up with a perfectly clean pad ready for further buffing.

God Bless,
                  Ralph

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');