• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First timer, where did I go wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer, where did I go wrong

Ok, so yesterday washed my 08 white ford escape. Brought in the garage and clayed it, didn't need it but did it anyway. The finish is still very good so I was going to use Deep Crystal polish on it. Used the yellow pad as I wanted to save the finishing pad for the wax. Made a nice X on the pad, set it to about 4.5 and quickly made a square and slowly moved around like the videos for 6 passes. Turned it off and started to wipe it and it was dried up. In order to remove it I had to put some Last Touch on it. So I did another section with less pressure and less passes, think it was 4, same result. Thinking to myself, oh boy I really **** at this. I just ended up finishing the hood with the polish, switched pads to the finishing one and got the wax out and waxed the car. That went ok. Detailing a white car is a lot harder than my wifes grey car.

All in all, wasn't very happy with how the machine made me look. Didn't want to try the 205 out on it since I can't really see any defects. So what could I be doing wrong to make the polish dry up so fast?

Re: First timer, where did I go wrong

How big of an area were you working on?

6 passes sounds like a bit much. How long did it take you to do the 6 passes? How fast were you moving the machine across the paint?
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
      How big of an area were you working on?

6 passes sounds like a bit much. How long did it take you to do the 6 passes? How fast were you moving the machine across the paint?
      Well I have a small SUV (escape) and the hood has a bend to it so I started there and moved it to the middle and about a 1/3 of the way up the hood. I did a quick pass then slowed it down and made 5 slower passes. I did a pace about what the quick video shows. I did that area and the next area that way and saw that wasn't working so I slowed down the machine to a 4 and moved it faster and did 4 passes and didn't help.

Comment

You should only be doing about a 2'x2' area. Sometimes even smaller. The main thing with M07 is to not let it dry on the paint.

Now, with that said, I will tell you what I do, which works well for me, let the glaze dry and soak into the paint and then go back over it with more M07 and while still wet, wipe it off.
        http://www.facebook.com/SuperiorDetails
        http://www.superiordetails.time2detail.com/

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');