• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant remove fine scratches! Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant remove fine scratches! Why?

Hi everyone.

I'm using a Porter Cable Dual Action 7424XP and Meguairs Ultimate Compound with a medium aggressive orange pad. I can't seem to remove these swirls that are very fine. I'm wondering if this is normal? I went over the area a few times with this product and a Optimum Compound II and I cant get them out. Im clueless! Is this normal? From a foot away the paint looks good. 9/10 I'd say.

Am I expecting miracles? Its a black metallic paint. I just want to see it perfect without any imperfections!

Help...

Re: Cant remove fine scratches! Why?

it might help to say that i recently used klasse sealant in the last two weeks...

i clayed the car and used rubbing alcohol to make sure i removed any sealants..

Comment

What kind of car? Have you tried a milder cleaner? Can you tell if it is a certain scratch, or is it moving around?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

its a certain scratch.. but theres lots of minor scratches.. but i check my pad and its clean... i dunno

Comment

maybe the uc is causing the fine scratches? You might need to move to a less aggressive product like ultimate polish to refine the finish. Our maybe a less aggressive pad.

You may not be able to remove the main scratch with out wet sanding and buffing. Can you feel that scratch with your finger nail?
          Joel
          1976 Cutlass S
          2001 PT Cruiser
          1990 454SS
          Suburban

Comment

Yeah, if the main scratch isnt fixable, you may be causing some minor swirls by working hard on it.

Going ot a milder product may solve the minor swirls.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Okay... how can I explain this...

I tried taking pictures today but the camera does not pick up on them. they are extremely fine scratches.

I tried a polish and a finishing compound from Optimum but it didnt get rid of them. If I shine a light at the paint I dont see swirls. I think all the swirls were removed.. but theres little scratches here and there.. and u cant really tell unless under certain light and at a certain angle...

Comment

I went into the sunlight today.. and I saw swirls.. so let down

I was using Optimum Compound II on an orange pad. I had it set to number 5 (out of 6) and I worked the area for a while. I pressed in and thats the best Results I got...

Original Image scaled down to 1000px wide

Original Image cropped to sunlight

Original Image scaled down to 1000px wide

Original Image cropped to sunlight

I even used Meguiars Ultimate Compound...

I went into the sunlight today and I saw swirls.. so disappointed

Comment

I'm in the same situation, except for less swirls. I've clayed once, used UC twice with original soft buff yellow pads, and used NXT twice with black finishing pads 2.0.

As far as I understand, UC removes previous waxes? Well, anyways, would moving to Ultimate Polish or a Pure polish help (after using a cleaner wax)? I'm using the G110v2 and the Original yellow soft buff pads and some 2.0 finishing pads.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');