• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 and M205 are great... is there a middle ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105 and M205 are great... is there a middle ground?

I have a Flex, M105, M205, along with some LC flat pads (Orange White and Black) and so far the M205 + white polish pad has given me great results. My question is this: if the M205 and polish pad combo doesn't give me the results I want, is there an intermediate step I should consider or should I just jump right into M105 + polish pad? I understand M105 is considerably more aggressive than M205 and I would be more comfortable trying something thats in-between the two rather than making such a large leap right away.

Just browsing around I see M83 DACP as being between the two but I have never used it. I understand it's a different animal (DAT vs SMAT) but is this the right choice for an "intermediate" step? Or should I not even worry about it and go straight to the M105 if the M205 isn't enough?

Re: M105 and M205 are great... is there a middle ground?

Try SwirlX and/or Ultimate Compound.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by MarkH View Post
      I have a Flex, M105, M205, along with some LC flat pads (Orange White and Black) and so far the M205 + white polish pad has given me great results. My question is this: if the M205 and polish pad combo doesn't give me the results I want, is there an intermediate step I should consider or should I just jump right into M105 + polish pad? I understand M105 is considerably more aggressive than M205 and I would be more comfortable trying something thats in-between the two rather than making such a large leap right away.

Just browsing around I see M83 DACP as being between the two but I have never used it. I understand it's a different animal (DAT vs SMAT) but is this the right choice for an "intermediate" step? Or should I not even worry about it and go straight to the M105 if the M205 isn't enough?

Mark, this is a great question.

If there was a middle ground Meguiars polish using SMAT, it would probably be M86 So1o. However, with M105 and M205, you really don't need a dedicated middle step because of the unique property of SMAT polishes. What do I mean?

M105 cuts so much because it cuts over time. The longer it is worked, the more aggressive the cutting action. M105 on a white pad will leave a finish comparable to any medium polish, and will usually produce the results in far less time. Provided the product is not over worked (buffed too long) the finish should be constant regardless of whether it is worked for 5 seconds or 20 seconds. This is the opposite of more traditional polishes, that require a set time to break down the abrasive and refine the finish.

So if you need less cut from M105 (and intermediate step), try M105 on your Lake Country White Pad, and work it for a short time. Work it just enough to make sure that a completely even film is on the paint, then remove. That is the beauty, work it just long enough that the defects are removed, then stop. It is only as aggressive as you make it. Once you are happy with the defect removal, move on to a finish step. That's it!

So to answer your question, if M205 isn't getting it done, then move up to M105 and work it just long enough to get it done. Prime the pad well and keep it clean and you may find that it is the fastest working, nicest finishing medium step polish out there. It is also a strong compound and I have seen it used as a finishing polish as well.
      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Thanks Todd for your great post! I got good results with the M205 but I did several slowwwwww passes spending over an hour on the hood of my trailblazer. I will definitely try some quicker passes with M105... I have a feeling this info will greatly reduce the time I spend polishing!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkH View Post
          Yet another thread I have to create when I find the time is the 4-channel method of alternating aggressivity during polishing. Basically there are four ways to alter the aggressivity of your compounding...1) product, 2) pad, 3) machine, and 4) technique.

You can change the aggressivity you are working with by moving up or down in cut-level of product, move up or down in mechanical abrasivity of pad composition (colors), switch from ROB to Flex to rotary, and alter technique (arm speed, applied pressure, KBM, and speed setting). Changing any of these factors will alter the level of defect removal and finishing ability of what you're working with creating an almost infinite amount of possible variations. Taking into account the capabilities of your Flex, the three pad types you have, and the two products you're working with you have over 130 different combinations or more to choose from giving you all the "intermediate steps" you could want.

Since you've begun using the SMAT lineup I personaly wouldn't begin to purchase new products (particularly with another abrasive technology/application method) before exhausting all combinations you have currently available.

Don't peghole M105 with a light cutting pad only...it can be used with any foam pad or even wool. If you've used M105/CCS Orange and M205/CCS White than consider M105 with the CCS White for an intermediate step. From here you can ramp up or down varying technique to fine tune your process. You can also use M205 with the CCS Orange to take a step up in mechanical abrasivity of pad composition from the previously utilized M205/CCS White combination.

Section off a test area and dial down a process that provides you results that you are satisfied with on your particular paint surface. Only after exhausting all possible combinations should you look for new pads/products/machines.

Hope this helps...

Comment

What if you try 205 with the orange pad you already have and see what happens?

If it works then *if* need be go over it again with 205 and white or black pad to finish it out
            2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
            2005 Honda CRF250R
            2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');