• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New pad order need advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pad order need advice please

I have a porter cable 7424 and needed to replace some of my polishing pads. I am thinking of purchasing the new 7in 2.0 polishing pads w/ the new da backing plate, I currently have the old backing plate. I am concerned that the pc will not have enough power for the larger pad and will not provide enough correction. I was thinking of either sticking with my current backing plate and purchasing the 6.5in pads or purchasing the smaller 5.5in pads from Lake Country.

What will provide better correction with the pc? I understand that technique, pads, and product have alot to do with the amount of correction. My questions is more about the power of the pc to move the larger pads

1. 7in 2.0 pads w/ new backing plate or
    2. 6.5/5.5 pads w/ old backing plate

Thank you in advance

Re: New pad order need advice please

Originally posted by JSIN151 View Post
    What will provide better correction with the pc?
    All other factors being equal...product, pad material (mechanical abrasiveness), machine, and technique...a smaller diameter pad on a PC7424 or G110 will provide you with more corrective power than a larger diameter pad.

Comment

I have a porter cable 7424 and needed to replace some of my polishing pads. I am thinking of purchasing the new 7in 2.0 polishing pads w/ the new da backing plate, I currently have the old backing plate. I am concerned that the pc will not have enough power for the larger pad and will not provide enough correction. I was thinking of either sticking with my current backing plate and purchasing the 6.5in pads or purchasing the smaller 5.5in pads from Lake Country.

What will provide better correction with the pc? I understand that technique, pads, and product have alot to do with the amount of correction. My questions is more about the power of the pc to move the larger pads

1. 7in 2.0 pads w/ new backing plate or
      2. 6.5/5.5 pads w/ old backing plate

Thank you in advance
      I use 6.5" LC CCS pads for most regular use. the 7424 has sufficent power to spin those pads no problem.

I do have some 5.5" orange though, which I would suggest for serious correction, and also some 4".

I would reccomend getting yourself a few of each if you're placing an order anyways.

The 4" allow the power to be concentrated a little more and the machine tends not to bag down as easy.

One thing to consider though... What size is your backing plate? You'll want a 5" if you're gonna run those pads... And a 3.5" for the 4"

Comment

Bounty and Whiskey
        Thanks for the fast response

I currently have the w64 da backing plate. Will this one work with the smaller pads? I think it is 6.5in if I am not mistaken

Comment

Bounty and Whiskey
          Thanks for the fast response

I currently have the w64 da backing plate. Will this one work with the smaller pads? I think it is 6.5in if I am not mistaken
          You need a backing plate smaller in diameter than the pad used...so for the 5.5" pads you use a 5" backing plate and a 4" pad requires a 3.5" backing plate. Some people use a backing plate that is the exact diameter of the pad but this leaves you no margin for error or bump protection. You cannot use a larger backing plate than the pad diameter.

Comment

That makes sense. How are the durability of the smaller pads?

Comment

I am looking at the different backing plates and was thinking of going with the buff and shine 3" rotary backing plate. ADS sells an adaptor so I could use it on my rotary and DA. Has anyone use this backing plate for the 4" pads?

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');