• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated.. need help to regroup and try it next weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated.. need help to regroup and try it next weekend

I claybared the trunk and then started using UC. Primed the pad, and outlined a small section and just kepted on buffing the area. Spent about 3 hours buffing just the trunk. I was still seing line schratches. After that, I did do a layer of swirlX and still saw some lines. I didnt spend much time with the swirlx as much as I did using UC.

At this point, I could tell a differnce. it got alot of the spider webs out and looked alright from a distance. I took my spot light and thats when I was starting to see these scratches. You had to look at them just right to see them. Is there a good way to look at it all to see how it looks from all angles?

My gf was getting impacient so I had to stop for the night. But this morning, I just applied some polish and wax to see the final outlook as it sits now. Happy with the shine but still not clear sctrach free paint.

ANYWAY Sorry for the story, but trying to regroup.. What do I need to do different. Do i need to try other products? Do I just need to keep on going over the same section until I wear the motor out? or is that just the best that I can do with the DA?

Since I havent had a full day of buffing. I have been cleaning my 6.5" pads at night and reusing them. They havent been saturated. Is that ok.. Or should they be saturated by the end of the night that im not using them the way I should be?

Feel free to ask questions and we will get this figured out. I am hoping to finish this project next weekend

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
    My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Re: Frustrated.. need help to regroup and try it next weekend

Sounds to me like you did everything right. Have you ever used your trunk as a table? You've probably got deep scratches in your trunk that aren't going to come out with "light" products and a DA. They would probably have to be wetsanded and buffed out with a rotary and a heavier compound like M105. This is just a guess on my part. Hopefully others will chime in.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

It sounds to me that those are RIDS (Random Isolated Deep Scratches) which most of the time cannot be removed with just a DA alone. It is hard to tell though without a picture, could you get some pictures up. It may be a scratch that requires attention from a rotary or maybe even some wetsanding.

It's fine that your pads aren't saturated. If you are cleaning your pads on the fly when using the DA, then you shouldn't end up with a completely saturated pad.

Get some pics up and we can point you in the right direction!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I really havent been cleaning the pad on the fly either. They havent seem that saturated. they still have been turning with pressure. am I not using enough product? I prime the pad.. and then just to a circle around the pad and make my section.

Comment

HELP

I FINALLY GOT PICTURES TAKEN!!
          I wish the pictures would show a little more then they do.. but hope this will give you a clue.

This 3 pictures, I have clayed, UC, SwirlX, Polished and waxed. How tough would it be to go back to trying to remove the swirls after I have waxed it?

Here is what I started with.. Area's that have not been touched at all - but this weekend it will be.

Can you use Terry Clothes to wipe off after you are done using all of them, or is it better to use microfibers?

I would think the terry cloths would scratch it after doing all that work?

Hope these pictures help!

Comment

Those look pretty good.

But your problem might be that you're not applying enough pressure with the DA, and from not cleaning your pad.

Even though it's not saturated, I've noticed a decrease in performance from my pads if I don't clean them. Seems the clear coat I've removed prevents me from removing more when it sticks in the pad

Comment

It looks like you either have hard paint, or deep scratches, or a combination of the two.

Your best bet would be to try some M105 to get the initial knock down, and then follow that up with SwirlX to refine the finish if needed.

Also, check your technique. You should be using a fair amount of pressure (roughly 15-20 pounds), but not so much that the pad stops spinning. Then make sure you are not moving the machine around too quickly. Try to move about 1-2 inches per second and really focus on keeping the pad level on the surface. This is crucial with DA buffers to make sure the product and pad have a chance to do their job.

Aside from that, it seems like you have the right idea. I would stick to microfibers if you have them (Supreme shine are my favorite microfibers for product removal).

Comment

Do I replace the m105 with the UC, or just do all 3 until It works out? I have never used m105.

Which is more aggressive.. uc or 105

What can I do to go back to the part that i have waxed and clean up the scratches?

Comment

M105 is more aggressive than UC

But if you have UC I'd stick with it. I can't imagine there being too much of a difference but if there is I hope someone points this out to me.

Comment

ive used both UC and 105 on my gt and the 105 worked better for me. then i used both on my buddies charger and the 105 worked "better" but the UC took out almost as much, and it wasnt that much better looking with the 105 so we stuck with UC. try to go over the spot again with a slower hand speed and more pressure with either the UC or 105 (id try UC since you have it already). what speed are you using and which pad? i see you are using a 6.5" pad, but which brand/cut?

Comment

Meguiar's buffing pads and the polsihing pad.. using speed 5 on G110

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');