• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The G100, Setting 6, and W7006 Pads (unusual question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The G100, Setting 6, and W7006 Pads (unusual question)

Over the years that I've been a member here, I've learned a lot.

There are some things I haven't quite understood though, especially after having a few discussions with another detailing friend of mine.

I seem to remember reading to never use a G100 above setting 5. After having some difficulty removing some defects with the G100, I spoke to a friend of mine who does amazing work, exclusively with the G100. He simply said "I only use setting 6 when removing defects" Interesting.

I also have always read "At this time we don't recommend using our cutting pads with a DA Polisher because the foam formula is aggressive enough that it may remove the defects quickly but it can also leave the paint hazy." That's in regards to the 7006. I had to resort to near unconventional means, and I ended up using #83 with a W7006 pad attached to a G100 on setting 6. That actually removed a lot of defects. As I expected, I needed another step (#66 on W8006 on setting 6), and it got rid of any haze and some other smaller defects that were either instilled by the previous combo or that it just didn't pick up before.

Either way, this detail ended up coming out spectacular.

I'm not saying the information on here is wrong, but maybe I'm thinking that the G100 isn't touted as the mean machine that it has the potential to be? Maybe I'm way off base.

Anyone shed some light?

Matthew 19:26

Re: The G100, Setting 6, and W7006 Pads (unusual question)

My take on it is that the pads aren't specifically made to handle constant use at speed six, so it is not recommended. That being said, it doesn't mean using speed won't work. Many guys use it with great results but Meguiar's basically just says be forewarned we have said not to use it at that speed, so use it at your own risk.
    Just my 2 cents

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

My *guess* is that because Meguiars has such a broad base of people using their products (from beginner to top level pro), they often have to make sweeping statements for the protection of the massess.

For example, a guy like Kevin Brown can probably do a lot of different things with certain equipment which is way beyond my learning curve. However, such statements like "no speed setting 6" is probably a means of protecting me from myself.

I also think there are other elements like premature pad wear and tear at speed 6, along with the hazing issues.

I don't think they ever say "it can't be done" just that it is "not recommended" which are two very different concepts.

Telling me (a hack) that is not recommended is a good idea so that I don't mess up my paint or pads. Telling that to a seasoned pro is a lot different who brings a whole different skill set to the table.

That's my take, for what its worth.
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by navyblue2000 View Post

I'm not saying the information on here is wrong,

The information here is accurate as it relates to Meguiar's products and recommendations.

Our recommendations take a "BIG PICTURE" point of view and using cutting pads and high speeds can lead to problems for Newbies and we want people new to machine cleaning and polishing to be successful from the start.

Cutting pads and high speeds can lead to hazing and heat problems and that's okay for people with experience to understand the problem and then figure out a solution but we're not going to teach people new to machine polishing how to haze their paint.

Also, on this forum we're held accountable for our how-to information so we try to make sure our information doesn't lead to problems in the first place. When there are problems, we're here to take ownership.

On other forums when you have anonymous people posting under forum nicknames giving out free how-to advice, if someone takes their advice and has a problem... who's held accountable?

Does the person that hazed their paint go after the anonymous poster for remedy?

So our information is accurate for our products and our recommendations. People can work outside these recommendations and if there's no problems that's great! If there are problems we will still be here to do our best to help you undo any damage but at least we can always fall back on our safe, big picture recommendations.

What can be done, and what is officially recommended can be two different things. There's lots of very seasoned detailers here at Meguiar's, so please don't think we don't know all the capabilities of products, pads, tools and speed settings as we do, but the forum isn't targeted at seasoned detailers, it's targeted and both people new to detailing and seasoned detailers, that's a little wider spectrum of audience than what some forums target and for good reason, we reach a lot of people new to detailing their own cars.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          we reach a lot of people new to detailing their own cars.

That was me three years ago!

Thanks for the info Mike. I wasn't trying to challenge or defy what's been said here at all. I certainly appreciate the wide spectrum this forum reaches out to.

Matthew 19:26

Comment

It makes it a little more challenging to provide good accurate content for a wide spectrum of members and also lurkers versus a defined niche audience but we're in this for the long run and the old philosophies of,

Better safe than sorry

and

You have to learn to walk before you can run

Are both good guideposts to help shape the direction we move forward with the forum. Meguiar's has been around for over 100 years and the forum has been around since 2004, and we work and plan as though were going to be around for another successful 100 year journey.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');