• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather recon job - before/after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather recon job - before/after

Pictures provided below. This vehicle is a 2005 Mercury Montego that had 8 years of clothing dye transfer with the drivers seat being the worst. You can even see the clothing dye on the trim in the first picture. I tried various cleaners including Leather Master Strong Cleaner and a McCulloch MC-1275 steamer that didn't do much at all so reluctantly I went to Megs APC D101 and D103 diluted at 10:1 and 14:1. I was reluctant to use Megs APC again as it recently caused some damage on the gray leather seat of a 2009 Toyota Rav 4 Limited that we have. Even at the 10:1 and 14:1 dilution ratio I had some issues with it spotting, etc. that I eventually worked out with the Montego, but not without some nerve racking moments. I was sweating bullets as I did this job. I am not a big fan of leather... it seems as if people don't take care of it properly from day 1 it's a major hassle to get clean effectively and SAFELY... especially when the seats get this dirty. I have read that Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner is totally safe for leather and does the job that Megs APC does, but without the risks. What are your thoughts on the Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner when it comes to cleaning leather? Thank you! Before/After pictures...

Re: Leather recon job - before/after

The seats look great. I'd be sure to get a protectant on them if you have not already done so.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Great job!
      The problem your having with the APC is that it's leaving "clean" spots.
      You can't let it dwell at all.
      Spray the towel and not the seat or spray the seat with water first then APC, brush then wipe and you shouldn't have any "clean" spots.
      APC rocks and will clean just abute anything. Learn how to use it and it will be your only cleaner.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Personally, I like OPC for leather. I use it at 1:4 for the leather seating surfaces in my vehicles with no ill effects. However, we all know it's quite pricey, so every other surface in my interior, as well as exterior rubber gets D101 APC.

Bill

Comment

Awesome work. Investing in a steam cleaner does wonders in cleaning leather also.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');