• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caring for rubber window and door molding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caring for rubber window and door molding?

What is the best way to care for rubber around the windows and doors on my car? It is 10 years old and the rubber is starting to show wear and I want to try and revitalize it and protect it to extend its life.

Re: Caring for rubber window and door molding?

I tend to alternate between a silicone spray I got from the dealer that was recommended and a Meguiars dressing like All Season Dressing, etc.

I'll use one, couple months later use the other, couple months later use the first one...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

To really clean the rubber moldings...
      Gold Class Leather & Vinyl Cleaner

If you are looking to dress/protect the moldings you can certainly use your favorite vinyl & rubber product, but you may want to consider...
      Ultimate Protectant
      Brian Hann
      Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
      Meguiar's Inc.
      Irvine, California
      bhann@meguiars.com
      (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

I have found that using the Ultimate Protectant on the rubber window surrounds leaves streak marks. Am I leaving it on too long? I also don't want to wipe off too quickly as it won't have time to properly saturate the rubber. Or is this a misconception. It is also difficult to appkly it on such a narrow area without sometimes fouling the surrounding painted area. Once the Ultimate Protectant dries on the paint it is very difficult to remove.

Comment

you could always use automitive masking tape and tape off any area you don't want to get your protectant on

Comment

I use #39 to clean and #40 to protect the light rubber ( water and wind seals ). I use the ultimate protectent on the hard rubber seals around the window. The plastic (smooth ) trim I use the spray quick wax.
            BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

how well would trim & tire gel work

Comment

Hi guys,
                I have a similar query. My exterior rubber door and window mouldings on my 12 yr old car have been getting a whole lot of stains/spots that look like some sort of mould! Probably from parking under certain trees at home?
                I've tried a rubber polish and it rejuvenates the dark black colour but doesn't really remove the mouldy spots I'm talking about. Any other product I can try?
                Would degreaser, tar remover or WD40 work without damaging rubber?
                Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by CKL View Post
                  Hi guys,
                  I have a similar query. My exterior rubber door and window mouldings on my 12 yr old car have been getting a whole lot of stains/spots that look like some sort of mould! Probably from parking under certain trees at home?
                  I've tried a rubber polish and it rejuvenates the dark black colour but doesn't really remove the mouldy spots I'm talking about. Any other product I can try?
                  Would degreaser, tar remover or WD40 work without damaging rubber?
                  Cheers
                  You can try using some APC (any brand) and a VERY soft tooth brush (like a child's variety) and gently scrubby scrubby. It is tedious, but for me, it worked. Then apply a rubber dressing, again your choice.

Just to clairify...I used to live in Seattle, and we were ALWAYS fighting mold growth because of the damp weather there.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                    You can try using some APC (any brand) and a VERY soft tooth brush (like a child's variety) and gently scrubby scrubby. It is tedious, but for me, it worked. Then apply a rubber dressing, again your choice.

Just to clairify...I used to live in Seattle, and we were ALWAYS fighting mold growth because of the damp weather there.

Bill
                    Thanks for the advice Bill. I'm not sure if its mould but I think it is some sort of mould stain. Will try the soft tooth brush some time. Ta

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');