• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep Clear Headlight Coating

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    So last week I redid my headlight clearcoat on my aftermarket headlights and they came out great with the keep clear headlight coating. They did orange peel but not bad, I did 2 coats. The next day I noticed the coating was still

  • #2
    Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    I just noticed this question was half posted for some reason.... it doesn’t show my entire post but here it is continued... the next day I did notice the headlight coating was “soft” and scratches easily to the touch, the next few days it hasn’t improved. Just yesterday we had a snow storm and a little bit of the headlight coating is chipping off and peeling but it’s not bad. Should I just redo the headlights in nocer weather and just remove the coating with plastx? Will plastx hold up for the rest of the winter?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

      Originally posted by John DePetris View Post
      I just noticed this question was half posted for some reason.... it doesn’t show my entire post but here it is continued... the next day I did notice the headlight coating was “soft” and scratches easily to the touch, the next few days it hasn’t improved. Just yesterday we had a snow storm and a little bit of the headlight coating is chipping off and peeling but it’s not bad. Should I just redo the headlights in nocer weather and just remove the coating with plastx? Will plastx hold up for the rest of the winter?
      Hi John,

      Sorry to hear about your experience. It's interesting. Was the coating applied or allowed to dry/cure in cold weather? Below 55 degrees Fahrenheit? I would agree with you, that removing the coating & starting over would be best. It can be removed with a mild abrasive cleaner/polish like our PlastX, or chemically, with sometimes several applications of isoproply alcohol (applying liberally).
      Nick Winn
      Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
      Meguiar's Inc.
      Irvine, CA
      nawinn@meguiars.com
      800-854-8073 ext 3845

      CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

        Yes it was around applied in my heated garage and I left the car in the garage for an hour and brought the car outside when it was 30 degrees to cure. It hasn’t been over 30 degrees in over 2 weeks. So when I use the plastx should I hust keep applying it to until it gets warm out? I know plastx shines and protects headlights too. Is there an alternative wipe on headlight protection I can use ir is plastx good by itself. Also when applied in warm weather will the headlight coating harden up faster? My dad told me that’s why it came off so easily was because it it’s too cold out.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

          Originally posted by John DePetris View Post
          Yes it was around applied in my heated garage and I left the car in the garage for an hour and brought the car outside when it was 30 degrees to cure. It hasn’t been over 30 degrees in over 2 weeks. So when I use the plastx should I hust keep applying it to until it gets warm out? I know plastx shines and protects headlights too. Is there an alternative wipe on headlight protection I can use ir is plastx good by itself. Also when applied in warm weather will the headlight coating harden up faster? My dad told me that’s why it came off so easily was because it it’s too cold out.
          PlastX is used on an as needed basis to address light oxidation, but the product itself does not have protective qualities. The product you are using, our Keep Clear Headlight Coating, would be the one to use, it sounds like the cold weather affected the curing.
          Nick Winn
          Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
          Meguiar's Inc.
          Irvine, CA
          nawinn@meguiars.com
          800-854-8073 ext 3845

          CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

            Oh okay, also I noticed you guys have an older product called “headlight protectant” that is basically an older version of the headlight clearcoat but instead you wipe it on. I know it’s discontinued but I can still buy it online on various sites. Do you think that will work too?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

              Originally posted by John DePetris View Post
              Oh okay, also I noticed you guys have an older product called “headlight protectant” that is basically an older version of the headlight clearcoat but instead you wipe it on. I know it’s discontinued but I can still buy it online on various sites. Do you think that will work too?
              The older "headlight protectant" we had, is basically a polymer based protectant made specific for clear plastics. It's a much less involved application, but does not protect as well or last nearly as long. Re-Application of the old "headlight protectant" is 6 - 8 weeks.
              Nick Winn
              Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
              Meguiar's Inc.
              Irvine, CA
              nawinn@meguiars.com
              800-854-8073 ext 3845

              CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                Oh okay thank you! My headlights are clear and I honestly don’t mind constantly reapplying it, it wouldn’t hurt to try it and then just go reapply the clearcoat when I get tired of reapplying it in nice weather right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                  Originally posted by John DePetris View Post
                  Oh okay thank you! My headlights are clear and I honestly don’t mind constantly reapplying it, it wouldn’t hurt to try it and then just go reapply the clearcoat when I get tired of reapplying it in nice weather right?
                  Absolutely, what you described would be fine. Just make sure to strip off the liquid headlight protectant before applying the aerosol keep clear coating. isopropyl alcohol can be used.
                  Nick Winn
                  Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
                  Meguiar's Inc.
                  Irvine, CA
                  nawinn@meguiars.com
                  800-854-8073 ext 3845

                  CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X