• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight Lens Restoral - C6 Road Rash vs Unigrit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Lens Restoral - C6 Road Rash vs Unigrit...

I wanted to share this recent project that I have taken on to correct a complete set of Corvette C6 Headlights and Foglights that were damaged.

My customer and taken his Vette out on one of the local freeways where they were resurfacing the highway and they failed to shut down the lanes or cone the area off.......the results were devastating to my customers Vette as was the $10,600 claim he filed against Cal Trans for the damage.....All new paint, new windshied and new headlights and fogs.

So once my client had his Vette refinished at a local shop in OC called European Motor Car Works.....and I must say they did an awesome job! He called me out to fine finish it off and wrap the front of the vehicle with PPF.

Here are some photos of the Vette tore up and getting refinished at the body shop.

These were the gravel blasted lenses that you see on the Vette in these photos.

Here are some shots of the complete set of C6 lenses that are being resurfaced and restored for gravel and stone damage.

Resurfacing begins with non other than my favorite Unigrit discs starting at 320 dry for these ones

Resurface with 500 grit dry

Resurfacing with 800 grit dry

1000 grit wet sanded

3000 grit wet sanded

Side by side with gravel blasted lens on the left and resurfaced on the right.

It is extremely important when doing a headlight lens restoral such as this that you work slow and cool. Be sure that you use an interface pad to avoid warping or un even sanding. The end results should be a perfect lens surface with out any distortion.

Once the lens has been completely resurfaced my next step is to wipe them completely clean of any grease or wax using IPA

Once clean I apply a 2 part UV wipe on coating to protect and guarantee the work for my customers.

The results, now time for curing

Side by side shows the transformation of this tore up gravel blasted lenses that cost a total of more that $3,000 to replace all 4 units

Damaged lens

Restored lens

Here are some of the after photos showing the Vette after we detailed it and while wrapped it with PPF

Meguiar's UnitGrit for the win!

Thank you for viewing.....Have a great weekend!
    David M. Sylican
    Innovative Detailing
    Headlight Lens Restoral
    Detailing Caddy
    Join us on Facebook

Re: Headlight Lens Restoral - C6 Road Rash vs Unigrit...

Awesome work!

Comment

I'm guessing Cal Trans didn't pay for all the damages? If so, why not replace with new if they were paying? Just curious.

As always, stunning work.

Colin
      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by CHzo6 View Post
        Awesome work!
        Thank you very much CHz06, appreciate it!

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
        I'm guessing Cal Trans didn't pay for all the damages? If so, why not replace with new if they were paying? Just curious.

As always, stunning work.

Colin
        Colin actually CT did cover the cost of new lenses, but since the customer got to keep the damaged ones he tossed the my way to restore. The C6 received all new lights in the claim.....

Thanks for the good words!
        David M. Sylican
        Innovative Detailing
        Headlight Lens Restoral
        Detailing Caddy
        Join us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Innovative Detailing View Post
          Colin actually CT did cover the cost of new lenses, but since the customer got to keep the damaged ones he tossed the my way to restore. The C6 received all new lights in the claim.....

Thanks for the good words!

Very nice. Thanks for clearing that up. Who wouldn't want a complete set of spare lamps sitting around? Good for him. Glad to hear everything worked out for him.

Colin
          A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

I'm confused, did you go from the 3000 grit wet sand directly to the IPA wipe, or did I miss a step?
            Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
            2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Comment

Is that XPEL film you are using? If the customer is going to that extent, why not wrap the whole nose of the car with PPF.
              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                Very nice. Thanks for clearing that up. Who wouldn't want a complete set of spare lamps sitting around? Good for him. Glad to hear everything worked out for him.

Colin
                Thanks, no problem.....Thats my thoughts as well, but this is his 3rd set (4 lenses) Originals were silver buckets, then he purchased these ones with black buckets (Main Lights) and the insurance claim replaced the black ones that I am restoring.......He would have no problem getting at least 2K for the set...

Originally posted by G_S_DB View Post
                I'm confused, did you go from the 3000 grit wet sand directly to the IPA wipe, or did I miss a step?
                No confusion at all.......that was it...3000>IPA wipe down>UV coat

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                Is that XPEL film you are using? If the customer is going to that extent, why not wrap the whole nose of the car with PPF.
                It's actually Avery Dennison "Nano Fusion" PPF and the customer only selected at this time to wrap the bumper, mirrors lights and fogs for now...
                David M. Sylican
                Innovative Detailing
                Headlight Lens Restoral
                Detailing Caddy
                Join us on Facebook

Comment

Great technique, David.

You're The Master.

Great tips about going slow & cool + IPA wipe down.
                  I wouldn't like to mess up over $3,000 lenses at all.

Comment

Nice work, looks beautiful!
                    "Some say that he has a digital face, and that he has a full sized tatto of his face....on his face...all we know is, he's called The Stig!"

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');