• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another Headlight Sanding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Headlight Sanding Thread

I read around and got pretty good idea what I need to do.

This thread was very helpful http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ing+Headlights

In that DIY guide it says "If you start with 1000, you must also buy 1500 2000 and 2500."

but I see a lot of people just jumping from 1k, 2k then 3k. Is it that important to jump up by 500?

On my Buy List as of now

1. Meguiars Sanding Backing Pad E7200
    2. (6)1000 Grit
    3. (6)1500
    4. (6)2000
    5. (6)2500
    6. (6)3000

Items I have and will use

LC 5inch Orange CCS with my Meguiars G110
    M105/M205, Plastx. I will probrally use the M105 on the orange and finish up with PLastx on a White.

Condition- The dealer did some sort of sanding before I bought the car.

Since I have had the car I used the 3m kit on the passengers side which went really bad, So I only used M105 on the driver side.

- Passenger

- Drivers

Yes car is dirty :P, needs a wash bad!

If you look at the top right of ^ this picture there are some of those lines, No idea if that's inside or out.

I know the hazyness might not need 1000 gritt but I want to try to remove what the dealer did as well as the 3m Scratch marks.

Any other tips or info I might need to know? I plan on following that DIY guide I linked exactly as he said.

Re: Yet another Headlight Sanding Thread

Did you try using teh plastx or headlight restoration kit before going into the sanding? That might be all it needs.

Comment

It might only need some UC or 105 on a 4 inch pad.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
        Did you try using teh plastx or headlight restoration kit before going into the sanding? That might be all it needs.
        Originally posted by coopers23 View Post
        It might only need some UC or 105 on a 4 inch pad.
        lol woops, let me explain better, I left some stuff out in the OP

I tried Plastx and M105 on both lenses with the LC 5inch Orange pad. And I tried by hand, it never 100% cleared up the fogginess, and did not touch the marks the dealer put in. So that's when I bought the 3m kit.

As well as I have tried M105 with the passengers side many times after the 3m kit but the scratch marks are too deep for it. I decided not to touch the 3m kit anymore and just wait to do it the proper way with different gritt sheets. Which is what I am going to do now.

Comment

So the More steps I take the more I remove, so If I do 1000>1500>2000>2500>3000

I would not really need to buy 800 since I am adding two more sanding steps?

Comment

Originally posted by thescreensavers View Post
            So the More steps I take the more I remove, so If I do 1000>1500>2000>2500>3000

I would not really need to buy 800 since I am adding two more sanding steps?
            Based on what I see, for optimum results you should use the following steps...

500>800>1000wet>3000wet............I do carry in my bag if needed (like a mechanic having different size screwdrivers depending on the size if the screw)......1500,2500,4000 which are all foam backed

I have not felt the need to bump by increments of 500 on the higher grits. Although the other day I corrected a 2001 Porsche Carrera in which the top 2 inches of the lens was starting to yellow. So when I started my restoral process the 500grit disc removed the failed coating on the top, but on the lower part it wouldn't even bite into it. So I stepped down to the 320grit disc which did cut into it, but wore out fast. It took me approximately 8pcs of 320grit to remove the initial failed coating....

If you are using pneumatic tools this will work awesome, then follow up with your polishing step, then wax or seal.

For a longer lasting finish that adds durability and permanent UV protection, I prefer to reapply a UV coating that must be cured by a UV lamp.
            David M. Sylican
            Innovative Detailing
            Headlight Lens Restoral
            Detailing Caddy
            Join us on Facebook

Comment

^ I only have the Megs DA G110

How would I get lower grits of 800 and 500? Megs UniGrit paper does not go that low, They have the sanding discs, I guess I could just use my DA with the proper adapter? But is my DA powerful enough?

I once saw some type of hand tool for the Discs(whats the name of that again?) Could I just use that with the 500 and 800 grits?

Comment

Ok So my G110 is good for sanding the headlights as I found out so I redid my shopping cart

Megs 3" Backing Plate
                Megs 3inch Foam Interference Pad
                (6) 500 Gritt Disc
                (6) 800 Gritt Disc
                (6) 1000 Gritt Disc
                (6) 3000 Gritt Disc
                AeroSpace 303 (for the UV protection)

I cant find 2000? "Innovative Detailing" mentioned the jump so I guess its ok?

With the sanding discs I put the 1000 and 3000 into a bucket of water or so I just mist them?

I think I might also buy some 320 Gritt discs as a back up, once I sand with 500, I can spray with water to see if there are some imperfections still?

Also the Foam Interference pad is used for all discs right?

Comment

Here are some better pics I took

Passenger

Driver

Comment

Here is some advise, hope it helps you out....

For the 1000, 3000, just a little spritz with the sprayer works....you will see a slurry develop on the lens from the water while sanding. Work the slurry in until its about dry, then wipe your lens and inspect for clarity or reduction of scratches. If needed hit again with 1000 and more water, if not proceed to the next step doing the same with the 3000 grit and a spritz of water.

The foam interface pad works for all the discs....320-3000, the disc just allows for better contour sanding around the dimensions of the lenses and it gives a nice cushion between the discs and backing plate.

For the most part I can usually use 1 of each grit for each lens, but it is wise to have some back up material just in case the failed coating has hardened.

Good Luck!
                    David M. Sylican
                    Innovative Detailing
                    Headlight Lens Restoral
                    Detailing Caddy
                    Join us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');