• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PlastX leaving extremely small Swirls on Headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PlastX leaving extremely small Swirls on Headlights?

Yeah, that's what I thought too !

Though, it smells idenitcal as well!!! I think the stove cleaner is a buck cheaper.

Comment

I had this issue with PlastX as well... I used it with a terry pad, then microfiber (slowly relieving pressure until product was about dry) and removed. I noticed with my Xenon light, that it left very faint "swirls" if you will. So I just grabbed some #80, went over with a microfiber and it cleaned it right up. Then I topped with NXT 2.0...

Love PlastX! Just remember, it may not finish flawless on every lens, as stated above.

Comment

As I have mentioned previously, M105 itself is able to finish up my headlights with a smoother surface than PlastX.

However, we must keep in mind that PlastX is a relatively aggressive product that can be used by hand with a 100% cotton cloth to remove severe oxidation, weathering, hazing, and other severe plastic defects. A product as powerful as PlastX should not be exepcted to polish plastic surfaces to a perfect finish. Cleaning it up with a very very light polish is a must.

The fact that PlastX is now being sold as a part of a kit with a drill-operated wool pad. I wonder how well that turns out. If I am unable to get an ultra smooth, swirl-free finish from PlastX using a polishing pad, I wonder what the result would be like if used with a wool pad.

Comment

After my last post re. PlasticX & an electric toothbrush I have had another thought. Unfortunately what I thought I had solved seems to have reappeared, the hazing, albeit somewhat mild has returned. I spoke to a friend of mine today who is an associate professor of chemistry at the local university & he feels that this is simply the result of air pollution etching the plastic. His conclusion was that you can slow down the effects but not stop it. I have to admit that in my somewhat 50 years of owning cars I never saw this happen to glass lenses.

Comment

Hi,

I applied PlasticX to the headlights on my 1994 R33 Skyline first by hand (not an increadile result) so I tried applying it with my makita 9227 set on slowest speed, with almost no pressure. Worked a treat, now I have to clean the insides of the plastic covers as you can see how dirty they are. So off come the headlights and into the oven at 80 degree's C when I get some time that is...

Alex

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');