• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo DS: Navy Blue (Japanese)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo DS: Navy Blue (Japanese)

I don't know if any of you play video games here, but if you do you may appreciate this.

A couple years ago I purchased a Nintendo DS Lite from Japan and had it imported, it was a color called Navy Blue that you can't find in America. Looks black but has a tint of dark blue to it, very pretty.

Well unfortunately I left it unprotected and uncovered in my glove compartment in my last car and drove across country 2-3 times. It got really, really beat up.

Well that was a few years ago and I'd been disappointed and ashamed ever since then. But now that I've gotten into car detailing I've learn and understood how to fix defects. The DS Lite has a thick plastic coating, something that PlastiX should be able to tackle!

Here's the left side (it's the right side in the photos because the DS is upside down...). This is NOT untouched, I did a quick single pass over the entire surface of the DS. This is the result:

I grabbed a microfiber cloth and started working some PlastiX into the right side. (again, left side on the photos)

Here's the results:

Very impressive! This stuff rocks. There's a bit of hazing so I made need to use a foam applicator instead to work in the PlastiX. I probably should also be working it in longer to polish it off.

Here's a full shot, my best effort at 50/50:

Again, I did a quick pass over the entire thing. The first image may look bad but I can assure you it was MUCH worse than that. The 2nd image shows how much better it looks after a few more passes.

I'll grab some painters tape and take a clear 50/50 shot, as well as one from the bottom since the bottom is more scratched up.

More pictures to come...

Re: Nintendo DS: Navy Blue (Japanese)

Excellent work,xantonin...

I think you'd be able to get more out...Did you try a foam applicator.I find they give a little better cut power than just a micro....

I love using plastX...I use it everywhere!

I've got an old Sega hand held in mint condition plus about 5 or 6 cartridges and the TV adapter with ariel,but that doesn't tune here...Different Frequency.

I've got it in a box...what was the name ...Sega...........? i can't remember?

Comment

You may try to find the Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish. It is less aggressive than PlastX and may bring it up to an even clearer finish; just thinking out loud.

Looks much better though! Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
        You may try to find the Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish. It is less aggressive than PlastX and may bring it up to an even clearer finish; just thinking out loud.

Looks much better though! Nice!
        That sounds like a good idea!

I"ve never found anything other than car products from Meguiar's though, I can't even find that stuff on their website. Could you direct me a bit further?

Comment

I actually meant the cleaner, but I have all 3 products and they work great on many things! The polish is a great product to follow up with however.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...ectionID=34101

Comment

Yup, I polish my oakley's sunglasses and my jacuzzi and bath tubs with Scratch X as well.

Do some detailing around the house to make your parents happy!

Comment

Great improvement. Looks good.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

good to see I'm not the only gamer intending to use this stuff I'm a video game collector who was looking for a way to get the scratches out of the glassy logo disc on the lid of a nintendo gamecube, which seems to be the exact if not very similar plastic that is used in the DS. I tried some non-meguiars brand on a gameboy lens one time, well, lets just say I ended up having to hunt down and buy a new one because it wasnt pretty and micro-scratched the lens bad. what, if any, application tips do you guys have, I don't have anything powered, so it would be all by hand..

Comment

I've repaired scratched CD's, DVD's, XBOX Games, etc., with the PC and 4"- 5.5" pads (I'm excited the megs 4" pads are coming out) with plastx and/or some polish. Not only did it remove the scratches on most all of them, but some finally worked again, where as before they didn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');